Interview with ScottArroy

ScottArroy

First Place Poetry, Author of One Way Or Another (OWOA)

What inspired you to write this book?

The realisation that there were so many poetry structures beyond acrostic and alliteration. My first poetry book Eclectic Rhetoric I guess opened my eyes to new structures and so decided that my second major poetry book would see me go in search of one style for each letter of the alphabet.

Of the poetry styles mentioned in your book, which style would you most recommend for poetry writers? Which style do you think most poetry writers use?

I think the Name or Portrait poems are a great place to start. They lead the writer but also bring out attributes about yourself that perhaps you had not previously perceived.
The Senryu is commonly used albeit referred to as Haiku. Both these styles are restricted by subject matter as much as the syllable count a point often lost on new writers.

What do you think most poems lack?

A rewrite.
I strongly recommend reviewing later that day and then again the next day and keep editing until the urge to perfect is fulfilled.

What is your advice in writing good poetry to authors pursuing that genre?

I'm told reading the work of better poets helps but for me it's about practice and incorporating poetic techniques within my poetry. Things like assonance, alliteration, allusion, imagery, similes, metaphors and personification.

Congratulations packmate!