Chapter 5

Leo's P.O.V.

I woke up and changed into a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

I went downstairs and into the kitchen.
"I like your shirt." Shay said as I sat down.
"Thanks." I replied and grabbed an apple for breakfast.
I started eating and Kale came downstairs.

After twenty minutes, we drove to school and got out.
I went to my locker and got my books.
Somebody stood at the locker beside me and I didn't pay any attention until I closed my locker.
"Hey kid. Wait up." He said.
I looked up to see the kid who punched me yesterday.
My eyes went wide and I went to walk away, but he put his hand on my shoulder to stop me.
"Look, I'm sorry I punched you." He said.
"I-I'm gonna be late for class." I stammered and quickly speed walked to class.

At lunch...

Second period just ended and I went to my locker. I grabbed my lunch and walked outside. I was halfway to the hill, when I heard somebody yell "Wait up!"
I turned around to see Shay and Kale.
"Come eat lunch with us." Kale said.
"No thanks. I'm okay." I replied.
"It's not really a choice." Kale said and walked closer to me.
I ran away from them and Kale quickly caught me.
"Dude, I just want to be left alone." I replied.
"I don't do well in big groups of people. I get nervous and shaky. I never know what to say." I rambled.

"Nerdo, our friends are nice. They won't pressure you to talk." Kale said as he lifted up my torso and Shay grabbed my legs.
They started walking towards the school and I started thrashing around.
"Let me go." I exclaimed.
"We're not gonna hurt you. Just come sit with us for one day." Kale said.
"Then put me down. I don't want to be carried into the cafeteria like this." I replied.
They put me down and Kale grabbed my arm.
"I ain't stupid. I know you're gonna run." He said and walked inside to the cafeteria.
They got to their table in the corner and there were only two chairs left.

"Beat it, Nick." Kale said to one of his friends.
His friend got up and walked away.
Kale directed me toward the now vacant seat and sat down beside me.
"Guys, this is our stepbrother Leo." Kale introduced.
Wow. He's never called me Leo ever.
"Leo, this is Brent, Bill, Sean, David, Ralph, Christian and Neal." Kale said to me.
I nodded and started eating my food.

"So Leo, Kale tells me you're super funny. Tell me a joke." Bill said.
"I don't know if I have any good ones. My life is a pretty good one though." I replied.
A few people laughed and Neal said "That was good. Tell another one."
"Okay. Why did they call almond milk it's name?" I asked.
"Why?" They asked.
"Because nobody could say nut juice with a straight face." I answered.
They all laughed and David asked "Got any more jokes?"
"Tons. But they might not be as good." I answered.
"Doubt it. You're hilarious." Neal replied.

I smiled slightly and said "What's the worst thing about being a birthday cake?"
"What?" David replied.
"When you're set on fire and eaten by the hero that saved you." I said.
He laughed and Kale asked me "What was that one you were telling me about the circle?"
"Oh. Why are circles so hot? Because they're 360 degrees." I answered.
They laughed and the five minute warning bell rang.
I quickly packed my stuff up and grabbed my lunch.
I walked to my locker and grabbed my books.
I went to by class and sat down in the back row.