Chilly Summer Nights

Through the middle of the night, I awoke to my teeth chattering violently. My eyes flashed open to the very dim light of the heat lamp sitting in the far corner of the large tent. I really couldn't say it was a heat lamp now as I wasn't feeling one bit of it. The sound of the ranging wind outside echoed through the bushlands, sending more chills down my spine. My arms wrapped around my body in tempt to get warm but it didn't seem to be doing anything. I was too cold.  

I looked up to the roof and left side of the tent as I heard something hitting it. I bit my lip in worry. It sounded like rain hitting the tent, but at the same time, it wasn't making the right sound for rain. What was going on out there? 

I glanced over at Jacob still asleep but then he seemed to have heard it to. His eyes opened as he yawned and sat up.  

"What's going on?" he murmured lowly, rubbing his eyes of sleep. 

I went to answer by my words were muffled by my chattering teeth. Jacob looked to me and I could see the worry come over his face. His hand reached up to my cheek and the second his skin came into contact with my own, his hand whipped back towards him.  

"Bella your freezing!" he exclaimed.  

I rolled my eyes. Well duh. . . Teeth just don't go chattering away for no reason what so ever. . . My cheeks were burning numb with iciness. I cupped my hands around my cheeks and mouth as I blew into them, but it didn't seem to make any difference either. 

Jacob unzipped his sleeping bag and quickly took his shirt off. I raised an eye brow at that, wondering how on earth he could be hot in this weather!? It made me colder just watching him . . . but then with seeing his beautifully sculptured, chest and stomach, buff and muscular, the sight warmed something within me. I bit my lip again as Jacob caught my gaze. 

"Bella, you need to get warm, please." 

My eyes narrowed in slight confusion on what exactly he was asking me to do. Stupidly I then realised Jacob wanted to help warm me up again. I struggled out of own sleeping bag with numb cold feet and fingers. I could barely stand for how numb my feet were. I tripped upon the first step and Jacob caught my arm before I could hit the ground. If my cheeks could have turned any redder than they already were, they would have. 

Somehow, Jake was able to pull the sleeping bag up around us both. His arms wrapped tightly around my waist as he grabbed his backpack and pulled more blankets around the sleeping bag for me. I rested my head against his chest, amazed at how humanly warm Jake was compared to my own body. I smiled, feeling safe again. 

"Just relax Bella," Jacob's voice cooed in a gentle and soft tone as his hand brushed over my cheek. The warmth of his hand alone sent another chill down my spine. My teeth were still uncontrollably chatting away. My jaw was beginning to ache. I was just waiting for my teeth to fall out at any given second - it was a wonder to why they hadn't already. . . 

"It'll be morning soon, then we can go home okay?"  

I dipped my head further into the sleeping bag. I didn't want to go home just yet. The trip was supposed to last the weekend, not just the night. It was typical of me to spoil anything that was supposed to be a nice time. It seemed to be a developing habit - though I had always seemed to have had this habit, only now it was getting worse.  

I listened to Jacob's breathing, his heart beating and the sound of the wind pushing powder like substance against the roof and tent side. Maybe it was snow that was hitting the tent and that was the reason behind why I was so cold. It made sense really.  

"H-how a-are y-you . . . s-s-so warm, J-Jake?" I chatter, feeling breathless once I finish speaking. The air felt thick and hard to breathe in. 

"Haven't you ever heard that Native Americans are hotter Bella?" Just by Jacob's tone and I can tell he's smirking widely. "In more than just one way, may I add, too?"