Chapter 1: The Rose

Most people hate losing. They hate losing at simple things they're good at... But most of all, they hate losing the people they love. Love is a wonderful feeling that everyone deserves to have. Not all know the true meaning of Love. They say love hurts, and it does, but that's just how it works.

If a couple fight, they would both be hurt in the inside but try to act cool and normal on the outside. However, if the couple sorts things out and talk about their argument, they can get back together. By sorting out the argument, they can learn more about each other and grow closer and closer together fonding a deeper bond.

This wasn't the case May was in though. She didn't fight with anyone or was in fact in any romantic problems at the moment. She was disappointed in herself. Not with her Pokémon, but with herself. All she could think was of how the others reacted. She thought that maybe Max and the others are also disappointed for her losing.

M a y

I didn't know that to do. "I-I'm sorry... But this isn't the right time to be making friends. I need some time for myself... I'm sorry." I told the red headed girl known as Kiara. And with that, I stepped out of the stage and sprinted out of the stadium. I ran and ran. I didn't really know where I was going but I still ran without looking back.

I finally came to a stop to notice that I was in the middle of a forest. I sighed. "So much for my luck." I mumbled to myself as I sat near a tree. I hid my head in between my legs as I felt more tears roll down my face. "Well, well, so what do we know? If it isn't June." I heard a voice from the distance. An all too familiar voice. Wait... No... It couldn't be...

"Drew..." I said quietly. I lifted my head up from my needs only for my eyes to get locked with a pair of green ones. There was no doubt... Definitely Drew. "April, how you doing? I saw you're contest from TV..." He said with a smile but I could swear I saw a hint of concern.

"Course you did... Millions of people were sure to have seen it..." I responded while looking away from his eyes and looked at the ground instead. Then a thought hit me. What is Drew doing here?... Drew stayed quiet but still kept looking at me. I looked at him again and saw that he was in deep thought. I cleared my throat getting his attention.

"So, um... Drew, what are you doing here? The contest is over you know..." I asked trying to avoid eye contact. For some reason every time we make eye contact, his eyes seem to shimmer and sparkle making it impossible to look away.

"M-Me?!... I...uh... um- heard what happened and wanted to know if you were okay?" He stuttered making it sound more like a question than a statement. I let out a small giggle. But then I stopped and realized that I was smiling. How is it possible that he can make me smile at times like these when others can't?...

"That's right, Smile." He said after a while. "Huh?" I responded. "Crying doesn't solve anything. You need to learn from your mistake and work harder for the next contest." He continued. I sighed. "I know that... It's just- I need some time to think that's all." I added and then said, "Hey Drew, why do you care about me so much?" He looked at me with a smile, a real smile not just a smirk. "Because you're very special to me May... More than you can ever imagine." He said. I smiled at his kinds words. I realized this time he didn't call me month names but my real name, May. Drew somehow always makes my heart flutter for some reason. There was another moment of silence.

T h i r d  P e r s o n's  P o v

The two teens just sat there. The wind was starting to get stronger and stronger. May's hair was blowing all over her face by the wind. "January, I think we should start heading back now..." Drew said breaking the silence. "Yeah, you're right. But I have no idea where Ash and the others are..."

Hearing how May said Ash's name, made Drew have an unpleasant feeling on his stomach. It wasn't a great feeling that's for sure. It made him feel angry. "Could this be jealousy?..." Drew thought. He looked up at May and saw that she had stood up. "Come on, Drew! Let's go to the Pokémon center, maybe we'll find them there." She said with tiny smile. Drew frowned. He wanted to see a real smile, not a small one, nor a fake one.

Without thinking, Drew reached for a rose he had in his pocket of his jacket. He stood up and then hesitated, but gave the rose to May. May looked at him confused but took the rose. Drew had never given her a rose all of a sudden like this before. At other times he claimed that the roses were for her Pokémon. "So, maybe this one is for my Pokémon too?" May thought. She didn't think this rose was for her since she was the one who failed not her Pokémon. May looked at Drew in the eyes.

"I suppose this rose is for my Pokémon, right?" She asked. Drew smirked. "Not precisely October, I was meaning to give you this rose for a while now." He said. "Um... I don't understand? I lost..." May said clueless. "That's exactly why you deserve it, you didn't give up, you tried you're best." Drew stated. "I still don't get it but... t-thanks Drew." May responded blushing slightly. She then smiled at Drew. The difference this time was that it wasn't fake, it was real.

After that little moment they had together, the two of them made their way to the Pokémon center hoping to find Ash and the others there.