Chapter Ten- Ready Set Go!

The cheerful tangerine walls are perfect, and the dark grey one looks awesome behind my bed, and the bookshelf (which was delivered 15 minutes ago) fits in perfectly. The diamond studs look awesome on the headboard, and the white chair now has a fluffy dark purple pillow on it. Light streams in through the window, glinting off a tall, skinny mirror that I picked and lighting up the floral side of the bedspread to make it look cozy. Perfect.

"Thank you." Is all i say.

"Do you like it?" Maggie asks eagerly.

I nod. "It's perfect." I smile.

Maggie smiles and gives me a hug, and John squeezes my shoulder.

**********

Later that night, I tiptoe up the stairs to the 3rd floor. I knock softly on Sunshine's door, and walk in. She's tapping on her phone.

"Sun?" I whisper. She turns, surprised, then gives me the death glare and I creep away, closing the door. She's fading away.

***********

The next morning, I wake up, and after breakfast, Maggie follows me up to my room. She sits on the edge of my bed, and I raise my eyebrows at her, signaling her to speak.

"Well, um.. I think it's time to start thinking about school," she says. I'm shocked. I haven't realized how much time has passed. Summer is gone, and it's already almost Halloween!! I realize that I've missed about 2 and 1/2 months of school. Not good.

"You won't be able to stay in the same school as you used to be in," she continues. "Too far away. You'll go to Lakeveiw Middle." Cool name, I think. Maybe I can start fresh and make some friends. But no, when you enter after school has started, you're automatically a freak. It's hard enough being the new kid at the beginning of the year. Yikes.

"We'll go school supplies shopping on Friday, then you'll start school Monday. Okay?"

"Okay." I say. It's Wednesday. Eeek!!

***********

2 days later....

We're at Walmart. Maggie pulls a shopping cart out of the line and we step through the doors. She pulls out a sheet of paper from her purse, then says "This is the list of things we need to buy, but we can get a couple extra things if necessary." She smiles, handing me the paper. I scan it, then say "Okay. Let's go to the school supply section."

I pick out glitter folders, notebooks with song lyrics on them, pencils, glitter pens, binders, paper, a black and white polka dot pencil case, and other miscellaneous school supplies like rulers and erasers. Then I pick out a few things just for fun- fluffy pens, keychains, mini hand sanitizers, and cute little magnetic bookmarks. Then we move on to choose a backpack and lunch bag. I choose a red plaid one with black pockets and "LOVE" written in glitter. I choose a matching lunch bag, solid black with a single plaid pocket.

After a full day of shopping, I change into pajamas and slip into bed. I haven't cut in 3 months. I don't feel like cutting tonight, either.

************

Another 2 days later...

I wake to Maggie shaking me gently. "First day of school!! Rise and shine!!" She says. I sit up, stretching. I glance at the clock. 6:00 exactly. Yikes!

"Okay." I say.

"Come on down for breakfast!! I made M&M pancakes!!" Maggie announces.

"Okay!!" I say. I love M&M pancakes!

After finishing the pancakes, I trot back up the stairs and into my my room, closing the door behind me. I take a shower, then dress in light pink skinny jeans, and a long sleeve crop top with black and grey stripes. I wear my black spiky combat boots, and I comb my waist length dirty blond hair and push it back with a black headband. Then I put on light pink lipstick and some black eyeshadow, but decide to leave it at that. I slide several rings onto my fingers, then step in front of the mirror. Maggie knocks on the door and walks in. "Wow, you look beautiful!! That really shows off your curves." She grins. I didn't even know I had curves to show off. She leaves, and I look in the mirror. I might stand a chance. Just maybe.