Chapter Thirty-one

BROOKLYN

BROOKLYN

My eyes open and then squint from the light. I begin to look around frantically hoping everything I remembered was just a nightmare. A very vivid nightmare.

My surroundings only confirm the dreadful thought. I am in a hospital bed as an almost silent machine fills my ears with beeps. Then I can only imagine the worst as I remember Liam. Oh, please be okay. I don't know if I could bare the fact that he died because of me. Because I was stupid and cheated on him. Because of Spencer.

Do I blame this on Spencer? I mean it is his uncle, but it is my fault. I'm the one who got involved with Spencer again.

A quiet knock pulls me out of my thoughts. Then, a short-haired woman comes into the room who wears light pink scrubs.

"Good morning Ms. West. I'm glad you're awake now." She beams.

Morning? I was out for almost a day?

I don't know what to say so I just smile.

"How are you feeling?" She asks cheerfully.

"My head hurts a little," I say.

"It makes sense when you hit your head so hard. You passing out was only a symptom of a grade three concussion." She begins to look at my chart.

"Is there anything I would need to know about so I can write it down? Medical history or pregnancies?" She looks down at me and I freeze.

Do I admit I was pregnant before? I could always lie, but that wouldn't be smart if it regards any treatment options. I weigh my options then answer.

"Yes. I was pregnant last year, but I had a miscarriage." I whisper.

She begins to write down the answer.

"Do you smoke or have had alcohol in the last twenty-four hours?" She asks.

"hNo," I say hoping this is the last question.

"Okay, thank you. You will be under observation until noon and if all goes well you should be released. I will get you some medicine for the headache." She smiles and places the chart on a table at the end of the bed then walks towards the door, opening it.

"Wait," I say and it makes her stop. "Liam Hayes, my fiancé, where is he?"

"I only work with patients in this hall, but I will be sure to ask." Her cheerful voice makes me mad. Why is she acting like everything is okay when it isn't?

I lay my head back fast, slamming it again the soft pillow. This only makes me groan out of pain as it feels like my brain just did a cartwheel.

Then, the door creeks open revealing the green-eyed, golden brown haired guy that I have mixed feelings for.

"Hey." Spencer smiles and I can see his bloodshot eyes from across the room.

"Hey." I weakly smile back.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"I just have a headache. Other than that everything is fine." I say.

"I thought I lost you." Spencer walks closer and sits at the end of the bed.

"I'm right here." A real smile forms on my lips.

His hands creep up to find mine and I let his fingers interconnect with mine.

"I'm sorry about Elijah." He starts. "If I wasn't stupid-"

"It's not your fault." I interrupt him.

He gets up and threads his fingers through his hair. "It is though. If I only had you give it to him none of this would have happened. You wouldn't be here now and Liam wouldn't have got shot."

I would get up to hug him and tell him it is okay, but I have so many wires hooked up to me that I can't. But, at the same time, I shouldn't get up to hug him. I shouldn't do anything and that is what I should say now. I shouldn't do this anymore.

Spencer stops pacing and comes over to my bedside. Then, in a blink of an eye, his lips are on mine. Normally, I would kiss back, but this time I don't. I need to end this.

He pulls back with a questionable expression, asking for answers.

"We shouldn't this anymore. I can't keep doing this." I say in a faint whisper.

Spencer stops and looks at me shocked. He just stands there and then goes to stand by the table, leaning on it. He is lost in thought. I know this comes as a huge shock to him. He glances down at the table top then freezes. What would make him do that all of a sudden?

The door opens suddenly and I see Gloria's face. Her tear stained eyes are the first thing I notice, but they seem to relax as they meet mine.

"Hello dear. I was told you were awake. I can come back." She trails off looking at Spencer then glancing back at me.

"No. Our conversation just ended. I hope you feel better soon." Spencer mumbles before walking out all of a sudden with anger and confusion in the air.

What changed all of a sudden? What was I hoping for? For us to agree and to be friends?

"Liam wants to see you now that you are awake."

I look towards her with interest at her words. Liam.

"How is he?" I ask.

"He is doing very well and they were able to get the bullet with minor bleeding. To be honest you got the worst end with your head injury then the gunshot wound." She chuckles as she tries to lighten the mood, but it doesn't work.

"I want to see him." I sit up quickly.

I immediately regret it has a wave a nausea washes over me.

Gloria rushes to my bedside and places a hand on my shoulder, steadying me.

"I'll go get a doctor to see if we can get a wheelchair." She smiles and leaves the room.

The silence that enters as she exists only lets my thoughts wash over me.