dieciséis

"It's not fair to say you're sorry now" - Maisie Peters

Nia's POV

Blake
Niah, I'm outside. Please come talk to me

He still doesn't know how to spell my name. Why would you need to know the name of the girl that's just a bet to you anyway? Another tear escapes my eye as I slam clothes into my suitcase. I'm mad and I'm hurt and I don't know what to do.

Another text comes in.

Blake
Please, I need to talk to you before you leave.

Blake
I'm sorry

Blake
I really am

I throw the phone on the bed and turn away, still crying. I pack the rest of my clothes. When I think I'm done - I'm not entirely sure because the tears blur my vision - I slam the suitcase shut and zip it up.

I just sit there on the floor for some seconds and just stare at a spot somewhere at the wall when my sister comes in.

She's cheerful and lets herself fall down onto the bed. I quickly wipe away the tears and lowkey blow my nose.

"You got a text from your lover boy." She says. She doesn't know that we have broken it off so she still thinks we're together. "He's texting 'I love you'."

Can she please shut up?

But no, she just starts laughing.

"Another one just came in: 'Please don't leave me.' Oh he's so cheesy isn't he."

"Fuck off." I say and stand up. I storm off because the tears have started to roll down my cheeks again.

"I'm guessing someone's on their period?" Teagan says and this time it doesn't sound so mocking anymore.

"I said fuck off, Teagan."

"Did something happen?" She has followed me to the bathroom and leans against the doorframe. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, something happened and yes, I'm okay." I tell her. Actually, I'm not okay but she doesn't have to know.

"What happened?" Teagan is really concerned now. Thanks for being concerned now when I needed you to be a bit more sensitive earlier.

"Well, turns out that Blake and his stupid friends had a stupid bet about me."

"What bet?" Teagan asks. She doesn't step closer though I can tell she wants to, but she knows me well enough to know that I need distance.

"That he can lay me till the end of summer." I say which makes me tear up even more. "Too bad I found out about it and he missed his chance."

For a while Teagan doesn't say anything. She waits until I have calmed down a bit before she speaks up.

She walks over to the closet and gives me the nicest dress I've brought with me to Barcelona.

"Put it on." She says.

"Why would I wear that? We're going on a 20 hour flight, I'll wear yoga pants and a sweater." I ask her and walk over to the bed to let myself fall down but Teagan grabs my hand and stops me.

"No." She says. "You'll put it on. Blake is going to try to talk to you when we get in the car and you'll look fire, pretend like he didn't hurt you and leave with fucking attitude."

"Is that how you get over your exes?"

"No," She says. "That's how they get over me."

• • •

I look good, though I don't feel good. I feel terrible, to be honest. Life sucks sometimes, I have to get over it.

I hold my suitcase in one hand, my backpack is on my back. Teagan looks at me.

"Ready?" She asks me.

No.

"Yes." I say and we open the door. Mum and dad are already waiting for us in the car. I gather all the confidence I have and walk over to the car. I feel relieved when I don't see Blake or the other boys anywhere.

We both walk quickly to get to the car as fast as possible. I really hope I don't see Blake.

However, my hopes are destroyed when we walk around the corner and I can see Blake sitting on the kerb. As soon as he sees me he jumps up and walk over to me. I ignore him.

"Hey Nia." He says and grabs the hand that's not holding my suitcase. Teagan gives me a questioning look, asking if it's okay and if I need her to say something. I love her.

"I got this." I say to her and she takes mine and her suitcase and stuffs them into the trunk of the car, then she gets in the car herself.

"What do you want?" I ask coolly.

"I want to apologise. I want to fix this." Blake says and I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

"It's a bit too late to fix this." I say and want to get in the car, but Blake still has a tight grip around my wrist.

"Can you please just listen to me?" Blake asks. "I want you to know the full story and what I was thinking..."

"I doubt you were thinking at all."

"Nia..." He begins but I don't let him speak. I twist my arm to make him let go of me. It works, so I open the door of the car.

"Go back to England and fool someone else. I'm not stupid enough to fall for your shit." I say and get it.

"Nia, I really do love you. I want to make this right." Blake almost begs me. "Can you please just give me one minute so I can explain..."

"You know what, Blake. I don't care. I really don't. So don't waste your breath on me, you can't win the bet anymore, there's no need to try so hard."

"I love you."

"Don't you think it's a bit late for that?" I ask. "If you did I would have been more to you than just your occupation when you're bored." And then I slam the door shut.

My dad gives me a questioning glance in the car mirror.

"Is everything okay?" Mum asks and I force a smile.

"Grand." I say and Teagan covers my hand with hers while I put my sunglasses on so that my parents don't see the tears in my eyes. "Can we just go now please?"

Nobody has ever hurt me that much before like Blake did. He doesn't deserve my love, yet it's all I've ever known for him.

I'm wondering how does it feel to make someone hurt like that. How does it feel, Blake?

Author's Note

Such a short chapter, I'm sorry.

xx
A