Chapter 5 (Lauren)

Josh finally caught up to her before first period at her locker. She had spent the weekend at home, avoiding his 500 texts and missed calls. Her mom had been gone most of the time. Probably making wedding plans.

"Will you please talk to me?" Josh whispered while she was loading her arms with books. "I don't know what I did wrong to deserve the silent treatment."

"Josh, it's not that you did anything wrong. I just can't be around you." She paused rifling through her notebook and looked at him for the first time. "You know why."

"Just meet me after school. I need to see you. I know it's only been two days, but I miss you." She began to shake her head. "My dad told me you and your mom are moving in at the end of month. I think we need to talk before then," he said, barely audible.

What?!? Moving in? How can she do this to me?

When Lauren did the math, she knew it made sense, economically speaking. She knew the lease on their apartment was due to be renewed next month. Her mom must have decided not to delay the inevitable.

"Okay, Josh. I have practice after school, so I'll stop by your car if you're here." She left without waiting for a response.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She was not looking forward to this. She knew the conversation they needed to have. They had to end things between them. It was the only way.

She took a big breath before opening his passenger door and inserting herself into what she subconsciously had begun thinking of as "her spot". She had waited until everyone else had left before heading to the parking lot. She did not want anyone to see who she was meeting.

"I'm so glad you came." He reached his hand out and placed it on the side of her face, stroking her cheek. She took it and held the palm flat against her for a moment before gently placing it back in his lap.

He stared at his hands for several seconds before looking up at her. He looked genuinely...sad. His forward was creased, and he looked pale, like he needed a good night's rest.

"I can't believe this happened. I can't believe he would do this to me!" There were tears in his eyes. Lauren had to look away before she started crying as well. "I-I finally found someone...someone I love, and he has to ruin it. God, I fucking hate him!" He slammed his palm into the dashboard.

Lauren was in shock. She had never seen Josh angry before. She understood. She was angry too.

Wait...did I just hear him say he loved me?

Josh had never told her that before. She knew she loved him too. She had been fighting her feelings for weeks, but they never went away. She never told him, and now it was too late.

"Josh," she began rubbing his back while his head rested on the steering wheel. "I hate this too. I hate everything about this. But you and I...we have to be done. You have to know that."

He didn't respond but simply nodded his head in agreement. There were no more words shared between them before Lauren slipped out of the car door. What else was there to say?