19

Trigger Warning: Symptoms of PTSD.

____________________________

"After all the things I've done, How could I even think I deserve to be loved?"

How could I even think I deserve to be loved?"

BUCKY

They quickly followed her inside. Selene motioned for them sit anywhere they'd like while she grabbed her laptop from the cream-colored kitchen island. "Where's Fong?"

"Running some errands with Kaia," Nadine replied vaguely. Though he wasn't keen on joining in on the fight, Fong still decided to come along. Dante and Taj were like his sons, after all. "They're planning our stay in Italy."

"We heard the weather was lovely over there," Bucky drawled, his tone dripping in sarcasm.

"The Winter Soldier has a sense of humour?" Selene muttered dryly, narrowing her black eyes at him. So they did tell her about him, he realized. "Interesting. Selene Mebarak."

He shook her hand once, noticing how her gaze settled on his gloved hand. He stuffed it into his jacket pocket for good measure. "Bucky Barnes. A pleasure."

The woman nodded and sat down next to Emilia on the navy blue couch, quickly getting to work with the Colombian's phone. Nadine placed a glass of water on the table in front of Bucky and did the same with the two women. "Selene's brilliant at finding people. If you need someone for an investigation, she's your woman."

"And if you need to illegally transfer money into your account," Emilia piped in, sarcasm dripping in her tone. "She's your woman."

Was she joking?

"Hey," Selene snapped, and Bucky could've sworn she sounded embarrassed. Nonetheless, she didn't look up from the work she was doing. "I don't do that anymore."

Nadine furrowed her brows as she studied her curiously, setting herself on the other seat across from Bucky. "What do you do?"

"We've tracked a British nationalist group to this area, and we've been sent to investigate what they're doing," Selene replied. "You're lucky my partners left to meet their handlers."

Suddenly, Emilia was more interested in her water. "About that..."

Selene stopped typing and glared at her. "What did you do?!"

"It's better if you don't know," Bucky replied, his tone apologetic. He didn't know what the Colombian did, but the last time she took matters into her own hands she started a war between criminal organizations. Having Selene's partners chase their own tails was nothing. "Let's just say they'll be out for a while."

"Moving on from Emilia's illegal activity, this nationalist group, what are they doing?"

Selene looked at her, her hand fluttering towards the colored cloth -a hijab, he remembered it was called- on her head. She seemed bothered by something. "They're targetting Muslims."