A New Normal

Korey's POV

I snickered at the pile of homemade goodies on the counter as I pulled a bottle of water out of the refrigerator taking a sip. Guess Mama thought we would starve to death with all the stuff she sent back with us. I know I still had to take it easy and not overdo it, but I was glad to be back. Even better that tonight's show was in Bossier City. Ashli would be here a little later with Fox and Mama. Was I a little afraid to be back? I couldn't deny that I was, but I had promised Brantley I wouldn't go anywhere alone.

I knew I would be doing good to get out of his eye sight even if he was on stage. I couldn't even argue because if it gave him peace of mind I could do it. I turned to head to the back of the bus when I heard the door open and footsteps. I whirled around with a grin on my face quickly finding myself sandwiched between Ben and Chase both in a big hug. I threw my head back laughing. I had missed these two jackasses almost as much as they had seemed to miss me. I smiled up at both at them as they sat me back down on my feet. Unable to stop myself I reached up grabbing Chase's ear twisting it earning me a yelp as Ben took a step back.

"OW! FUCK!" Chase yelped as I glared at him. Like I had forgotten what he had said. Had warned him I would get even with him for it. "What did I do Kor?"

"Oh I think you know," I grumbled glaring up at him. Then the lightbulb went off in his mind and he had the decency to look sheepish. He looked behind me as a pair of arms slipped around my waist.

"Well BG agreed with me," Chase whined as I kicked a laughing Ben in the shin making him shut up.

"Yea but she won't hit me," Brantley said with a laugh sliding a hand up to grip the wrist pulling Chase's ear making me let go and laced my fingers with his. "You on the other hand she will beat the hell out of."

"And to think I missed your short, stubborn ass," Chase sighed rubbing his ear then giving me a wink. He noticed the chocolate cake in a cake pan on the counter and smacked his lips. "I will forgive you anything Kor if I can have a piece of that."

I went to answer him but a loud rumbling growl from behind me made me dissolve in a fit of giggles.

"You touch that and I will put a bullet in your ass," Brantley growled making me laugh harder. Mama had found out chocolate was one of his favorites and made her famous chocolate cake just for him. I probably wouldn't even get a piece. "Her dear sweet Mama made that just for me jackass so back the fuck off."

"He ain't playing," Ben said with a grin. "That man does not mess around when it comes to his sweets. Almost broke my finger one time over Mama Becky's chocolate chip cookies man."

I shook my head ducking out of Brantley's arms heading back to the bathroom to check my makeup. The bruises had faded to the point I could cover them with a heavy hand on the makeup when I was out in public. I added just a little more powder over my left cheek as a little bit of yellow was showing and sighed. I would be glad when they were gone. I had enough painful memories from that night and was tired of seeing an everyday reminder. I heard footsteps and lifted my eyes to meet Brantley's in the mirror. He stood behind me dropping a kiss on the crown of my head.

"Still beautiful to me no matter what you know that right?" he said quietly as I ducked my head with a blush. I felt his hands move over my head making me look up and I gasped as my eyes welled with tears. I touched the necklace had slipped around my neck touching the delicate wings as a tear slipped down my cheek. He settled his hands on my shoulders as I smoothed my thumb over the crown hanging from the bottom of the angel wings. I turned around in his arms giving him a small smile. He wiped a tear off my cheek kissing me lightly. "I know you lost your other one. I happened to see that one the other day."