Chapter 25

(Steve's POV) 

Natasha looked a little tired on her way out and stumbled a bit but every time Bucky' asked she replied with 'I'm fine' or 'stop asking' So I should not worry. She is strong. 
I was stuck with babysitting because I was 'Still healing' I groaned thinking about it. I was perfectly capable of fighting they were just overreacting. 

"When will they be back?" Cassidy asked sitting next to Katie on the couch tugging at my shirt. 
"I'm not sure it could be hours this is a large hotel," I told her watching her look up at me sadly. She frowned and tugged me down on the couch next to her. 

"Katie won't stop crying," she said softly. I looked over and noticed Katie crying again. Small tears slipped out of her eyes and landed in her cupped hands. "Katie, it will be okay," I assured her. She turned her head and nodded wiping away the tears slowly. 

Cassidy crawled in my lap Again and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Why does the Black Widow not like me?" I laughed and shook my head. I don't think she likes anyone to be honest. "She likes you," I said thinking what a silly question for a child to ask. "She only likes the Winter Soldier," She whispered yawning and wiping the hair from her face. 

"What?" I asked lifting her head and looking into her fluttering eyes. "Sophie told me they love each other." I shook my head rolling my eyes. Kids will believe anything. "She was lying." She shook her head this time. "I saw them kissing in the castle and at breakfast and dancing in the garden." She said nodding.

"That was just for their cover as husband and wife..." I paused thinking about it. The way Natasha wraps her arms around him and smiles warmly at him. The way he walks into her room every so often... I shook my head. Bucky is my friend he would tell me. Right?
"But when they were dancing in the garden in the garden kissing they were alone and had no reason to play their cover." I frowned. She was very smart. Could it be? 

They both fell asleep in no time and snored lightly while I kept thinking about it. 
___

We walked down the halls. We had already searched two levels and came up empty. We did come across some soldiers but James took them out easily. I was not even sure if I could keep walking for any longer. My legs were starting to get wobbly and weak. James noticed this and kept asking me but I simply told him to stop asking. 

"Are you sure you are feeling well?" He said as we walked down the now lit halls. I nodded once and blinked my eyes rapidly trying to regain clear sight. 

"Natasha I can see your legs wobbling and your vision is blurring." I glanced back up at him but shrugged it off making him mad. 

Something beeped in James' back pocket and I snapped my eyes open shaking my head. "I forgot I had this..." He said pulling out a phone-looking thing. "A heat signature reader?" I asked and he nodded. I scoffed. We could have used that so many times before now.
"There are two people in a nearby room at the end of the hall." He said holding it up. 

We walked all the way down the hall and James came up behind me grabbing my wrists. "What?" I pulled it away angrily. He was probably about to ask me if I was feeling well again. 
"Hello!?" James yelled knocking on the door. Why was there no guards standing outside it?

We both heard a scream and a sob so we busted down the door and quickly spotted the king and queen on the floor crying. When we actually entered we noticed that a pool of blood sat under the king and he was choking on his air in obvious pain. 

"What happened?" I asked kneeling by his side smearing blood on my suit. "The Soldiers! He attacked them and took a gunshot for me!" She cried out. She tried to catch her breath. He grabbed her hand looking very close to death. I pressed my hands against the gunshot to slow the bleeding but at this point, he was too far gone. It probably pierced a vital organ. 

"Take care of the kids," He whispered letting his head fall limply to the side. She placed her hands on his chest as he took his last breath. As his stomach fell she whimpered crying harshly. "There has to be something you can do!" She cried out placing on one of her shaking hands on his face. "I'm sorry, He's gone," I said removing my bloody gloves from his wound. 

"Two people are moving towards us quickly!" James said loudly peeling my gaze onto him. 
"We have to go!" I wobbled to my feet and almost fell over from dizziness but James caught my arm and lifted me at the last moment giving me a glare.

I grabbed Judy's wrists and heaved her onto her feet making it out of the room and around the corner just in time. 
They walked into the room and looked down at his body. "He's dead," One of them said as the queen sobbed into James' shoulder. 
"inform Sophie." The other one said. James grabbed the queen and lifted her up bridal-style because she was too shocked to walk. He grabbed my wrists and ran along the halls towards the staircase. I shoved my hand back and ran by myself fighting the urge to fall over and sleep. 
I was drenched in blood and so was the queen.  
___
We arrived back at the room and I put my weight on the wall. Steve opened the door and looked at us horrified. "What happened?" He asked frantically as the girl slept soundly on the couch not knowing their dad was dead. James pushed past Steve and carried her in. I tried to walk in but suddenly it was like my body gave out and my knees buckled. I fell to the ground hitting my head on the wall and keeping my eyes open despite them going blurry and foggy.

"Natasha!" Steve yelled jumping forward and grabbing my elbows in a firm grip. He lifted me to my feet and brought me into the room carefully. It was all a mess of blur but Steve tossing me around was not helping the dizziness.
"What happened?" James asked grabbing my elbows and tugging me towards him in concern. 

"She toppled over and hit her head," Steve said tugging me towards him. They continued to converse loudly and shove me around aimlessly. 

"Could you two stop tossing me around like a toy!" I yelled tugging my hands back to myself. 
I was about to fall again and James grabbed my wrists. I looked over at him angrily, glaring. "Let me go," I said to him. "You need help," I growled at him.

"James!" I said angrily. 
"Natasha!" He yelled back coming closer. "If you don't let me go!" I scrunched my eyes blinking several times. "Why can't you accept help! You're not alone and I won't leave you again!" He said tugging me again. I suddenly felt calm. I was not in the mood to fight right now. I was so out of it.
"You're right," I said falling into his embrace. Steve's mouth fell open as James led me into my room and propped me on the bathroom sink. 

He put my hands in some warm water and checked my head thoroughly. I took a shower and walked out into my room to see James sitting on my bed waiting. I sat next to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulder kissing him lightly. "Thank you, I'm sorry" I whispered feeling much better but still very tired. "Don't apologize," He whispered. 
He pushed me back and pulled the covers up over me. "Get some sleep," I nodded as he walked out and shut the door.
___
(James POV)
I waited by her door until she fell asleep. I watched her breathing become smooth and her eyes flutter closed. 

I then walked out into the living room and collapsed on the couch next to Steve, feeling tired myself. Katie, Cassidy, and Judy took my room and slept in the bed while Steve and I would figure something out. 
He slapped my back and nodded at me in impressment. "You tamed the Black Widow," He said looking shocked.
"No, I simply won this argument," I told him grinning. "She likes you," I scoffed. 
"I'm serious. I have never seen her lower her voice to anyone before." I shook my head and laughed. "I care for her a lot." 
I love her a lot.