Bad Guy

As she ran from her village, she could hear the fire, the way it crackled when it consumed the things most dear to her, as if the flames were somehow saying they were satisfied. And yet, it still felt like a lullaby to her, a lullaby sung by someone she had loved, had trusted. 

       She could still hear her mother's voice when she had found out. Scared, determined to try to save her. "He's one of them, dear. He's dangerous. You cannot be seeing him."

       And her father's everlasting stern voice, "Cerculean, you can not and will not see this boy any longer. He's a bad guy, bad for you, and bad for your future."

       It's strange how that almost sounds like a normal conversation between a teenage daughter and parents, worried about her ruining her future by running with the bad boy in the town. The real story is far from it. She had given her heart to her opposite, and it had now ruined her family, her village, and any chance of being with the "bad boy." She knew what the council would do now. They had been waiting for almost eons to separate the two cultures. 

      She would never see him again, and they would both be dead by morning. And somehow, it all still seemed worth it.