Ch 14 - A Sensational Experience

Start from the beginning

There was the sound of rustling leaves, followed by a loud thump as Sid shimmied down the tree and jumped off the last few feet onto the deck. There were leaves stuck to her damp clothes and skin and twigs stuck out of her hair and she couldn't look happier while her sky sheep shook himself dry at her feet. The only cleaning up the Shandian did was a casual wipe of her hand to fling off the stray leaves on her messenger bag.

Cricket raised an eyebrow. "Had fun up there?"

Sid nodded eagerly. "I've never experienced weather like this before. The weather in Skypiea has always been sunny. This is...This is amazing!"

"Captain!" one of Shoujo's men reported from the crow's nest, "If this wind stays, we should be at the island in less than an hour."

--------------------

"An hour?" Law crossed his arms over his chest and stared solemnly at the horizon, "Got it. Thanks, Shachi. Go back and assist Bepo. Penguin!"

"Yes, Captain!"

"Alert the rest of the crew. Who is on Guard Duty this time?"

'I believe it's Uni's turn to stay back and watch the ship for today."

"Tell Uni that Ikkaku will be switching shifts with him."

"EHHHH?!" Shachi and Penguin cried with shock and disappointment.

Law turned and he grinned unkindly. "I'll come down later to personally let her know that she has you two to thank for this."

"B-b-but, Captain! If you blame us then she'll never want to talk to us again!" Shachi protested.

The grin on the captain's face only grew bigger and more unkind. "Exactly. Now go."

"Aw man..." Penguin groaned as the two engineers turned to the hatch and descended to the lower decks. He jabbed Shachi with his elbow as he pushed past his friend, "This is all your fault."

"What was that?" Law shouted and the two quickened their pace and hurried out of sight.

Law rolled his eyes and he returned to watching the sea. The weather was foggy but refreshing, he'll give it that. It was a welcoming contrast to the stifling conditions of being submerged for too long. The sweat on his face was now replaced entirely by the sea's condensation. The air in his lungs was now cool and abundant.

However, it was far too damp for his liking. It was making his hoodie heavy and it was starting to stick to his skin. Hopefully, whatever island they're approaching will be an inhabited island with some sort of shelter for him to dry off. A restaurant would be nice. Maybe even a hotel or resort of some sort.

He was well aware that having been two weeks out at sea, with over half the time underwater, was making his crew restless. Hell, he was getting restless too. He knew it had to be done, though. They had to get out of sight and away from the Navy's attention, especially after the fiasco on the last island.

Being able to go underwater and escape enemy fire was exactly why he agreed to let Shachi and Penguin build this submarine in the first place. Had he known that it would mean spending days and sometimes weeks in confinement, maybe he wouldn't have consented so quickly.

They needed to resupply the ship for sure. Their pantry was only two cans, four jars, and six boxes away from being empty. Not ideal for a crew of 21. The unyielding pressure from sailing at the bottom of the sea had caused some inevitable damage to the ship that needed to be repaired and attended to as soon as possible. Law dreaded to even look at the gauge for the oxygen supply.

The Grand Line was an unrelenting and merciless opponent and Law was well aware of it. Much too aware of it. He wasn't sure if his crew was as cognizant as they should be. Yes, they knew what they signed up for when he asked them to join him but he did ask them under false pretenses.

Growing HeartOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara