Chapter 9: Hope

Mulai dari awal

They walked around slowly as to not startle him especially when they saw the red flare in his tight grip already lit. One wrong move and Scott was dead. Imogen could try to shut it off but she couldn't risk hurting him.

"Scott?" She called out his name gently, trying to act calm and not burst into tears at how defeated he looked. She had never seen that expression on his face and made her heart break for him.

"There's no hope

"There's no hope." He said, his tone blank of emotion as if he had already given up.

She swallowed, recalling his feelings from earlier. "There's always hope, Scott." She told him honestly.

"Not for me. Not for Derek."

"What happened to Derek wasn't your fault. You can't blame yourself for what happened to him." He couldn't keep carrying that guilt with him.

His voice shook as he spoke. "Every time I try to fight back, it just gets worse. People keep getting hurt. People keep getting killed."

Stiles stepped up, hoping that maybe he could reason with his best friend. "Scott, listen to me, okay? This isn't you, all right? This is someone inside your head telling you to do this. Okay? Now..."

"What if it isn't?" Scott looked at him, his brown eyes filled with tears that threatened to fall. "What if it is just me? What if doing this is actually the best thing that I could do for everyone else? It all started that night, the night I got bitten. You remember the way it was before that? You and me, we were... we were... we were nothing." Imogen could feel hot tears rolling down her cheeks hearing how he was talking about himself. The self-loathing in his tone was hard for her to hear and seeing him like this. "We weren't popular. We weren't good at lacrosse. We weren't important. We were no one. Maybe I should just be no one again. No one at all."

Stiles stepped towards him slowly, forcing himself not to cry at how much pain his best friend was feeling

Stiles stepped towards him slowly, forcing himself not to cry at how much pain his best friend was feeling. "Scott, just listen to me, okay? You're not no one. Okay? You're someone, you're... Scott, you're my best friend. Okay? And I need you." He said truthfully, closer to him now. "Scott, you're my brother. All right, so..." He stepped into the puddle of gasoline. "So if you're gonna do this, then..." He slowly took the flare out of Scott's hand. "I think you're just gonna have to take me with you. All right?" He threw it away as Scott started to cry.