h e l l o

You were dressed in your white dress and leather sandals, sitting in the front seat of the bus. Your hair was pinned neatly up and you wore a brimmed hat to keep the sun from burning your pale skin. You had fought mother about wearing the hat, but when she threatened to leave you at home you immediately agreed to wear it. It was a hot summer day, a sunny one to be exact. The little bus was half empty and it wasn't hard to find a seat. You sat quietly next to mother, gazing out the smudged window and holding tight to her hand as the bus jerked into potholes and flew over bumps.

It was your sixth birthday. You felt somehow much older than the past day even though you were none taller to your dismay. Your little lunchbox sat on your legs where inside you knew Mother had packed a lunch just for you, since it was your special day. Your eyes were glued to the window, your heart speeding up as you glimpsed the silver line on the horizon.

"The ocean mommy! I see the ocean!"

The bus came to a stop in front of the beach and as soon as the doors came open you flew from the vehicle to see the great wide ocean before you. Seagulls squawked overhead, dodging the spray from teal waves tipped with white foam. The sand was golden in the sun, sparkling like true gold.

"Lets go! Let's go to the water!" You grabbed mother's hand and dragged her toward the beach. She stopped you with a laugh.

"Go ahead sweetie, mommy's going to buy some drinks." She pulled her hand away with a smile. You jumped in excitement and thanked her five times before running off. You were so completely impatient and in such a rush you didn't watch where you were going. A boy hurried past you from the swim shop and the two of you collided into each other at once, falling down in a heap on the boardwalk.

"Ow! What was that for!" You yelled at him, frustrated at him for getting in the way. He sat up slowly, holding his knee as if it were hurt. His big dark eyes shakily looked up and he looked as if he were to cry.

"Hey... don't cry." You stood up and dusted the dirt off your dress. It only took a moment for you to lose all anger for this little kid who had looked to be your age.

"Stand up! My mommy says to be brave and strong!" You smiled, hoping to cheer him up.

The boy continued to stare at you, continuing to be silent as he picked himself up from the ground. Your gaze fell to his knee. The dirty jean shorts were ripped, the tears stained red as the blood from his scrape soaked into it. You gasped.

"Oh no! You're hurt!"

The boy followed your gaze down to his knee and his eyes widened a little.

"Does it hurt?" You squatted down and stared wide eyed at the scrape. The boy leaned down next to you, still looking at you.

"What? Why do you keep staring at me?" You gave him a strange expression and backed up.

"Your cheeks are red." He said simply. He reached up and pointed to your face.

"Oh!" You suddenly realized that you'd lost your hat in the collision. You looked around and grabbed it, shoving it on your head again.

"Mommy says this keeps the sun from burning me." You stood up and smiled proudly. The boy blinked and stood up slowly after you.

"Jinwoo." He said. You gave him a puzzled look.

"What?"

"Jinwoo is my name."

You stepped closer, still not hearing him right since the ocean waves were crashing in your ears.

"Jin-jin?" You asked, confused. The boy smiled suddenly, the appearance of his teeth lighting up his small face and making him shine. He nodded.

You smiled back.

"I'm Y/N, my mommy named me."

—~—

Beach waves crashed again and again against sparkling sand. A breeze carrying the smell of salt whipped around your hair and brought the corners of your dress up. Three seagulls sat in a row a foot away from the tablecloth, staring down your half eaten cake. Jinwoo bounced past them, waving his hands and sending them flapping and squawking into the air. The little white dog yapped loudly and ran at his heels, snapping his tiny jaws at the birds which were twice his size. You giggled at that, clapping at their antics. You glanced over. Sat next to you in deep conversation were both mothers. Jinwoo's mom cooed when her little dog tumbled into her lap and licked her chin. You smiled and crawled over to adore the puppy's soft ears and wet pink nose. It licked your face.

"Bomi is saying happy birthday." Jinwoo's mother laughed.

"Y/N!" Jinwoo fell in a heap on the tablecloth, crossing his legs over each other as he leaned forward to flash a toothed smile. You noticed how one of his front teeth were missing. It made him look silly.

"Happy birthday!" He said brightly. You smiled back. He held out both hands, folding them open to reveal a small pink shell. Your eyes widened and you squealed in delight at the pretty sea treasure.

"It's yours." He told you, taking your wrist and placing it in your palm. You admired it happily.

"Thank you!"

Jinwoo smiled once more than jumped up to chase off the the seagulls who were back to steal your cake. He waved his arms and they went flying again.
Several minutes later you were chasing him across the white sand, Bomi by your side with his ears and tongue flopping. Jinwoo jumped into the waves, screaming in shock as the cold foam washed around his ankles. You laughed and jumped in after him, kicking droplets of seawater at him. He splashed back, sending a wave of water and soaking your dress.

"JinJin! Catch me!" You yelled above the sound of the crashing waves and turned tail to run. You heard him splashing after you but you doubted he could catch up. Your toes made squishy sounds in your wet shoes as you ran, your sopped dress flapping against your legs. A pair of seagulls swooped above your head. You stopped to attempt to catch them, jumping and throwing your arms above your head. The seagulls cawed as if to mock you and flew in circles above you.

"Got you!" Jinwoo finally caught up and threw his arms around the back of your shoulders. His cold wet sleeves shocked you and you screamed, struggling to escape him. Jinwoo laughed and walked you to where the waves crashed against your knees and made you squeal. You fought yourself away and pushed him into the water where he fell onto his butt. You giggled and ran for your life, hearing Jinwoo's yell as he ran after you again.

You remembered that day well. You remembered it being your favorite birthday.

Because it was the first time.

And if you'd known how much would change you may have left sooner.