He was happy they were becoming close, because Glenn was even better than Nathan had thought he was. He was funny and kind and could always make Nathan laugh. Nate felt stupid for ever pushing Glenn away before. "Hey Glenn?" Nate whispered, and there was a deep sigh in response. "Glenn?" Nathan tensed as a weight fell onto his shoulder, and then immediately relaxed to not disturb Glenn as the boy breathed against his neck.

It was easy, dropping his head down on top of Glenn's and drifting off to sleep, and Nathan couldn't help but smile.

***

"Dad," Nathan groaned loudly, stabbing at his food and trying to ignore both of his parents eyes on him.

"What?" Carmen asked and Nathan glared at him.

"You know what".

They maintained eye contact for a long time, neither of them blinking until Osmond reached over and grabbed Carmen's hand off the table.

"I'm just saying-" Carmen began and Nathan watched as Osmond gently tugged on Carmen's hand.

"Babe-" Osmond began and Carmen just shook his head.

"I know but-"

"Dad," Nathan cut in. "I don't want to talk about this".

"I'm not telling you to marry him, I'm telling you to take him out on a date-" Carmen continued, despite the many warnings and Nathan rolled his eyes.

"I'm not taking Glenn out on a date, dad. He's my doubles partner," Nathan reminded. "We're just friends".

"Nathan-"

"No," Nate interrupted, his voice firm. "I said I don't want to talk about this. We just started to get to know one another". Nathan paused, thinking of the comfort of Glenn's warm body pressing against his side on the bus earlier and how easily he could ruin that confort by trying to make it romantic. Trying to make it romantic, because there was no way it would work. There was no chance that Glenn would ever look at him that way. "Besides, he's way out of my league. Like, way out. I mean, Glenn's perfect. Honestly. He's sweet and he's funny and caring and he's gorgeous".

"Right," Osmond cut in then, joining the conversation and Nate turned his head to look at him. "Because you're not cute or funny or sweet".

"You need to stop calling me cute. I'm not eight anymore," Nate shot back and Osmond just rolled his eyebrows. "And don't compare me to Glenn. You'll only be disappointed".

Carmen's mouth opened but it wasn't his voice to fill the dining room. "Honey, let it be. He'll understand soon enough".

Carmen groaned. "But what if it's not soon enough".

"What if I don't understand what?" Nate interrupted, frowning. He went over the last minute of conversation and was still lost. "Understand that I'm just as good as Glenn? Because I'm not-"

"You're right," Osmond cut in, his expression blank. "You're not as good as Glenn. Glenn is smart, and you're an idiot".

"What?" Nathan asked, his eyes wide and Osmond shook his head, looking down and pushing his plate away before standing and leaving the dining room. "What's his problem?"

Carmen looked at him silently Nathan. "We just want what's best for you".

"Then why won't you just tell me what you're talking about," Nate demander, and with one last headshake Carmen stood and followed his husband out of the room. "What?"

Before Nathan could follow after them and harass of an answer his cell phone buzzed against his thigh through the pocket of his sweatpants, momentarily startling him.