You Fought My Flaws, My Teeth, My Claws

Homecoming is held on a Saturday as most public schools. The function hall near campus is covered in sky blue and white decorations. Balloons, filled with helium, float to the ceiling as streamers dangle across the walls. It's beautiful.

However, the only thing more beautiful than the decorated function hall is the emerald-skinned girl clad in a cerulean, high-low dress. The top is beaded from the slightly darker belt to the fingertip-length straps. The front of the chiffon bottom falls slightly above her knees, while the back falls slightly below them. A golden star, embedded with tiny silver rhinestones, hangs around her neck from a gold chain, laying halfway down her chest. Each ankle is wrapped with straps, connecting to silver, four-inch heels. Her red and ebony hair lays past her shoulders, curled into soft ringlets.

"Hi." It's all he can say with a lopsided smile as he stares fondly at the girl in front of him.

"Hi." She greets back as her face becomes slightly greener than before.

"You...um-" Peter awkwardly rubs the back of his neck. "You look gorgeous."

Gamora rips her eyes away from his, forcing them towards the ground as the heat continues to rise in her cheeks. She rubs her arm with a shy smile creeping onto her lips. "Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself."

Strobe lights of the color scheme, flash over their bodies as the bass from the music (which is horrible, in Peter's opinion) vibrates underneath their feet. They stand there awkwardly for a few songs, until a familiar one started to play. The slow, steady rhythm of the synthesizer fills the hall.

Peter contemplates whether or not to ask Gamora to dance, having never ask her in public before. He glances over her shoulder to see Nat, in a short, black bodycon dress, and a low chignon, slow dancing with Steve. As Nat is turned around to face Peter, she looks at him in disbelief, mouthing at him to ask Gamora to dance.

He returns his gaze to Gamora, who is still awkwardly rubbing her arm and looking at the ground. "Hey, Gam?" The boy shouts over the loud music. It gains her attention as she springs up, staring intently into his hazel eyes. He gives her a soft smile before continuing, "Wanna dance?"

Gamora returns the gesture and nods slightly. She wraps her arms around Peter's neck as he places his on her hips, like they're used to.

When you love someone,

when you love someone

It feels so right, so warm and true,

I need to know if you feel it too

The tension in Gamora's body slowly fades as they continue to dance. She thinks about everything she's been through the past few years and everything she's experienced in the two months she's been here. How Peter's been so kind to her and easing her into this unspoken thing between them. Every small gesture, every small move-it's all for her. She knows deep down he wants to move fast, but he respects her enough to move at the pace she's comfortable at. They haven't made anything official, but she knows she gets a weird knot in her stomach every time she sees that idiotic smile on his face. The feeling, however, was more pleasant than she'd expected. Suddenly, she realizes all he's done for her and never once has she thanked him.

Peter's eyes widen as Gamora stops swaying and wraps her arms tighter around his neck, pushing their fronts together. The boy slowly returns the gesture, wrapping his arms lightly around the small of her back. "Thank you-" There's a slight quiver in her voice as if she might break down and cry. She takes a shaky breath before giving him a lingering kiss on his cheek. Her head returns to the crook of his neck, slowing beginning to sway with him again. "For everything."