⚔️ PART 5: THE WYATT REBELLION ⚔️

Whittled down to it's finest point, the Wyatt Rebellion began in January 1554 mainly in opposition to Queen Mary's proposed marriage to the foreign Prince Philip II of Spain. People saw Queen Mary's marriage to a foreign prince as a sleight to England. Mary, as Queen, would marry Philip making him King of England. Although he had very limited power as the king of England, (to which even Philip can attest to this when he proclaimed he had been deceived by his father Charles V who arranged the marriage) the English did not trust the Spanish. They felt that they would drag England into conflicts with the French. Thus, the country's ruling elite placed restrictions on Philip as a potential King of England. He was not allowed to change any English laws or customs, remove Queen Mary from the country by force, and "any children of the marriage must remain in England unless the nobility permitted their departure overseas." Overall, the most important outcome of the Wyatt Rebellion was that "the queen's mercy was exhausted and retribution came quickly, to the innocent as well as the guilty."

With the general summary accounted for, it is pertinent to now venture in depth to the Wyatt Rebellion to see the huge threat Mary faced and how this rebellion hardened her heart against the Protestants, whom she had humbly treated with mercy beforehand.