II. Spilled Tea

Some time after Lawrence and Cathleen's disheartening reveal of results, Thomas, Isaiah, and Elizabeth returned to the estate. The youngest two bolted through the front door and almost knocked down the maid, Sally. With a quick apology and stern look from Thomas, they made their way to their sister's bedroom. Cathleen opened the door once she heard a startling knock.

"Oh Cathleen, you'll never believe it!" Squealed Elizabeth excitedly while her deep brown eyes sparkled with glee as she and Isaiah practically ran into Cathleen's room. Isaiah was a bit calmer than his ecstatic sister, but happy nevertheless.

"What on earth happened?" Cathleen questioned with big eyes and her alluring, soft smile. It's not often that good news comes from anywhere these days, henceforth she was astonished anything remotely uplifting took place. Thomas entered the doorway and leaned against the frame smugly. His facial expression showed differently however. It mirrored that of when Lawrence came home a few hours ago.

"Thomas, is everything alright?" She inquired, growing curious of what could have put him such a distraught mood. Besides, annoyance seemed to be the mood of the whole house recently.

"Have you heard of the store clerk's son, Sampson Denby? Well, my dear sister, he fancies you." He said like he had just been poisoned.

"Don't tell me you rode all the way to town just to get that little piece of information," Cathleen laughed as well as Elizabeth and Isaiah. It was good news, but she found it appropriate at the moment to tease. Thomas and her's relationship consisted of jokes, support, and complaining. They told each other everything and always offered their honesty to one another, even if it was offensive. "Besides, isn't that good?"

"Do you have any inkling of an idea of his absurd views?!" He shouted in disbelief of his sister's ignorance. She gave Thomas a steely, disapproving stare because he knew as well as anyone not to discuss politics around the youngest two who had the juvenile age of twelve and ten, Elizabeth being the youngest. "Sorry. Isaiah, take Liza down stairs and help her with that new invention she's been working on."

"But that's a terrible inven-" whined Isiah who was interrupted by Elizabeth.

"It is not! It's a work in progress! So what if it doesn't work perfectly? At least it's pretty, unlike you!" Cathleen snickered at their puerile bickering. She usually found joy when Liza stood up for herself because it always resulted in the other person looking inferior.

"Isaiah," Thomas began with a gentle, yet demanding tone. "We have something vital to discuss. Grown up stuff that you wouldn't like."

The youngest brother left with a huff and mumbling that neither one of them caught. Once they were sure he was out of ear shot, Thomas closed the door and turned to Cathleen in a flash.

"Sampson's a Patriot, which explains itself," Thomas stated condescendingly. He had no patience for anyone with ties to the rebellious party and never would. "He's more obsessed than anything, Cathy. Stay away from him. I should've knocked some sense into him when I had the chance."

"If you would've done that, I'm positive that the people would despise us more than they already do, Tommy," she suddenly became very interested in the wooden floor, but made sure to keep her voice strong. "I could try to talk him into-"

"Cathleen, I don't care how much-"

"Thomas Atwood, you let me finish," Cathleen interjected bossily while Thomas quit talking and had a scowl of irritation marked on his thin pink lips. She hated the fact that someone who was a Patriot liked her, therefore she desired to do something about it. "I'm going to tell him of my opinions, and if he can't be loyal also, then I won't waste any of my time. Before you can scold me, I'll be careful. I promise, alright?"

Thomas wasn't surprised, not in the least. She had always done this to him. She'd always annoyed him and eased his conscience at the same time. An unlikely combination, but one that they would graciously share, however long or however short of time it may last.

________________________________

"I'm going to visit Maria," Cathleen shouted up at her siblings, who she didn't mind if they heard her raise her voice. "and don't let me come back just to find you fussing again!"

The heavy door swung open just enough to let her small figure pass through it. The tight corset made her waist even tinier than it already was, and not to mention, hard to move.
She climbed up into the carriage with the help of the driver, who was in fact a family friend in a way. In her younger years, Cathleen had always called him by the name of Uncle John, and in return, he called her his niece. It wasn't until she turned fourteen, that the high society of Philadelphia started rumors about why they gave each other those names. That's exactly why it caused Cathleen's sorrow to deepen for the man every time she looked at him. He had no reason to be so wrongfully judged.

"Aye, Ms. Atwood, how have you been? Where shall I be taking you today?" He inquired with his usual kind hearted smile which made his twinkling gray eyes crinkle. It was a thing that she grew to love.

"Quite well, Mr. John. I would fancy a trip to see Maria," she replied with just as much enthusiasm. "and how about yourself?"

"As well as a man who drives a carriage can be I suppose," he said as he gave a small laugh. He spryly hopped into the drivers seat after he shut the door and began to drive towards her best friend's house. On the short four mile ride, she started to hum a tune as she thought about Sampson Denby and how she would like him to court her if he wasn't a rebel. He had an agreeable face, but he was a tad bit clumsy when it came to women and walking. Oh, but Thomas's blood would boil more than a pot of tea. Perhaps, if she convinced Sampson to see reason she wouldn't have to worry about that. She had been so deep into her thoughts she didn't notice for a long time that the carriage had stopped. The only probably was, it hadn't been four miles yet.