"Please," she replied mildly.

Draco placed the steaming cup on the table in front of Luna and sat across from her at the kitchen table. He glanced down and frowned. "You're not wearing any shoes."

"I didn't feel like wearing any today," she said simply, taking a sip from her cup.

Draco shook his head and continued, "I hate dragging you into this, but I'm at a loss at what else to do. I've tried talking to him directly, but that almost never works with him. He either clams up or explodes then clams up. Weasley said he's done this before."

Luna nodded. "Yes, the more that things worry him, the more insular he becomes. If he is as bad as you say he is, then it must be something quite serious."

"That's what concerns me," he muttered. "I hate that he doesn't trust me enough to speak to me. If you can't be open with the person you're in a relationship with, then what's the bloody point?"

"It's a funny thing, love," Luna mused. "You're always trying to protect the ones you love from harm. But I find that more often than not, keeping secrets only hurts our loved ones more in the long run."

"So you think I'm right to keep pressing him on this?"

"You can't force Harry to be open with you. You just need to know the right thing to say to him to make him realise that he's hurting more than helping you."

"Well, what am I supposed to say?" he asked desperately.

Luna smiled. "I have a good idea of what to say to him for you if you trust me to."

Draco thought for a moment, then sighed and nodded. "I've tried everything else. I know you're more Harry's friend than mine, but you know him better than most, and...well, you understand that I'm limited to whom I can speak to on this matter."

"You don't have many of your own friends," she stated.

"I don't have any of my own friends, period. You're my last resort, Lovegood."

Luna grinned. "I appreciate that you think of me when you need help, Draco. But you're mistaken— I am your friend."

Draco lowered his gaze, a little embarrassed but appreciative of Luna's sincerity. "I don't think I've earned the title of being your friend yet, but I'll endeavour to earn it over time."

Luna inclined her head towards him and took another sip of her tea. They sat chatting for a while and were interrupted by the sound of the fireplace flaring, alerting them to Harry's return. A few moments later he walked into the kitchen and frowned.

"Luna. What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Draco invited me over for tea," she replied. "We've been talking about how you've been hiding something from him these last few days. We've been trying to figure out what it could be."

Harry grunted and left the kitchen without another word. Draco got to his feet but Luna placed her hand on his shoulder and gently pushed him back into his chair. "I'll have a word with him. You sit here and think about how he can make it up to you once he comes back through here and apologises to you."

She floated out of the kitchen and into the living room where Harry was throwing more fan mail into the fireplace.

"I've got nothing to say to you, Luna," he said. "Even if there was something to say— which there isn't —it's none of your business, anyway. Not that there's anything to worry about, of course. Nothing's wrong, honestly."

"You're doing a poor job of trying to convince yourself of that," she said. "You have a large cloud of wrackspurts over your head, but they will only be clouding your judgement so much. You're lying to Draco about something. He's confronted you about it, and you won't do him the courtesy of being honest with him. Why?"