Broomstick and Oak

Harry checked his watch as he hurried through the Atrium, trying to avoid eye contact with anyone he didn't have to speak to. The murmurs and stares that followed him day to day were tenfold any time he visited the Ministry of Magic. And Kingsley seriously thought Harry would want to take up a job here? He was already treated like a freakshow, he wasn't keen to make himself a permanent attraction.

As he reached the elevators he glanced up and smiled. Arthur Weasley waved to Harry from the elevator, holding the golden grate door open for him. Harry couldn't help but notice how much Mr Weasley had aged in the short few weeks since he'd lost his son. looked more worn than ever and his red hair had new streaks of grey that hadn't been there the last time they had met.

"Harry," Mr Weasley greeted him warmly and shook his hand. "How are you?"

"Pretty good, actually," said Harry. "Thanks for arranging this for me, Mr Weasley. I know Kingsley's really busy at the moment."

"When is the Minister of Magic not busy?" he laughed, ushering Harry into the elevator.

"How is everyone getting on at The Burrow?"

"Well enough under the circumstances. George, he..." Mr Weasley's voice trailed then he asked, "I suppose you heard the news? Ginny and Neville?"

"Yeah, Ron and Hermione told me. It's nice to have some good news for a change."

"I couldn't agree more," Mr Weasley nodded.

The elevator pinged and they stepped out onto level one. They marched side by side towards the only door at stood at the opposite end of a very long corridor. As they approached, Harry read the gold lettering on the large, oak door:

Kingsley Shacklebolt – Minister for Magic

Mr Weasley knocked on the door and entered with Harry following close behind. Kingsley was already on his feet, beaming at Harry.

"Harry Potter, it's a pleasure to see you again," he said, taking a firm grasp of his hand.

"You too. Thank you for taking the time to see me, Minister."

"Of course," Kingsley motioned for Mr Weasley and Harry to sit down before returning to his own behind the large oak desk. "I will always have time to see you, Harry. So, how can I help you today?"

"It's something of a personal nature," he began carefully. "It's about Lucius Malfoy."

Kingsley and Arthur glanced at each other.

"I see," said Kingsley slowly.

"From my understanding, there seems to be some issue with interring his body to the Malfoy Estate."

"It is the Malfoy Estate in name only," Kingsley explained. "The Malfoy family no longer have a claim to any of the properties attached to the estate, including the Manor or the Crypt that resides within the grounds of the estate."

"I'm aware of that," Harry acknowledged. "And I'm not going to argue about reinstating the properties to the Malfoys. All I'm asking is that Draco...Malfoy to be permitted to bury his father in the family crypt alongside his ancestors."

"He died in Azkaban," Mr Weasley muttered darkly. "Can't they just leave him there? It would be more fitting of the man than a fancy crypt."

"I hate Lucius just as much as you do, but the man deserves a proper burial," Harry argued. "Regardless of what we all think of him, his family has the right to mourn his loss. Everyone is entitled to a proper burial, not just thrown in a ditch or an unmarked grave like Moody was. If that's what we've resorted to doing, then what makes us any different from the Death Eaters?"