Part 2- Sophie

I wipe the sweat from my brow as I slump down to sit on one of the stairs leading to the center.

Those kids are hopeless!

Who wouldn't get tired of always following handicapped children around because they might get hurt or something? Tsk. Annoying.

I should be at a party now or hanging out with my gang and not in this stinking center.

I get a cigarette from my pocket and light it with the lighter hanging on my belt. Smoking and drinking are my ways of relieving stress. My foster parents always scold me about it, but why the hell will I listen? It's my Rule No. 1: Things that are forbidden must be done.

"What are you doing?"

My head snap towards the small voice I heard. It is from a little girl about seven years old. She's thin and has a face mask on her face.

"None of your business," I snap.

I expect her to cry because that's what children usually do when they're told off, but instead she maintains that curious expression in her eyes.

"You're smoking, aren't you? My Mommy said that doing that would make you sick. She told me to get away from people who are smoking because it would make me more sick," she says.

"Then go away," I tell her sternly while I continue puffing my cigarette.

"It doesn't matter anymore. I'm very sick, so I can't be more sick," she utters.

"What's up with you anyway?" I ask, annoyed.

"I heard the doctors tell my Mommy that I have lung cancer. They said I'm going to die. I don't want to die. Smoking makes you sick like me, so don't do that. You also don't want to die, do you?" She speaks in a rush as tears flow down from her eyes.

I gape at the little girl as she wipes her tears away and starts walking back inside the center.

"Hey! What's your name?" I call after her.

"S--Sophie," she answers, still rubbing her teary eyes.

"I won't be sick. I promise," I tell her while throwing my cigarette away as proof.

She smiles at me. "Okay," she nods and then cheerfully ran inside the center, all thoughts of being sick forgotten.

I stare at the cigarette that I dropped and sigh. Why did I make that promise, anyway?