Part 4- Prayer

*BZZZ* *BZZZ*

I open my eyes to the darkness of my room. I turn on the lamp on my night table as I pick up my vibrating phone. I cock my head toward my wall clock and stare at it.

Great! It's 11:00 in the evening, so who's this jerk calling me at such time?

I look at my phone's screen and the caller is no other than my best friend, Alice. Why is she calling me so late at night? She knows I hate it when somebody disturbs my sleep. I still answer her call nonetheless.

"Hey, why are you disturbing my sleep?" I yawn at the receiver.

"WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO ANSWER? I'M AT THE TOWN'S HOSPITAL! JAY IS SHOT BY POLICEMEN! COME HERE QUICK!" Alice yells frantically. She ends the call right after saying the words that turns my life upside down.

I drop my phone in shock. Jay's been shot.

Jay is my boyfriend. We're dating for three years already and I'm certain that he is the one I will marry. I love him very much. I don't know what to do if I lose him.

As realization dawns, I quickly jump out of bed and grab my coat. I run out of my room and slamthe door behind me.

On my way out of the house, Jill and William stop me in my tracks.

"What was that noise?" Jill asks, rubbing the sleep off of her eyes.

"Arden, are you running off again? For goodness sake, could you please listen to us? You are not allowed to--" William starts before I cut him off.

"Please! Just let me go to the hospital. Jay has been shot. He needs me. I promise I will obey everything you say and you can lock me in the house all my life, please just let me go to the hospital this time!" I say and kneel in front of them while tears flood down my eyes.

William and Jill look at me uncertainly; maybe because they haven't seen me cry before or pleaded.

"Alright, alright. It's just this time and you will listen to us from now on," William finally says after a few seconds.

I hug the both of them.

"Thank you! Thank you, Mom and Dad!" I cry.

Jill and William are shocked by my gesture, but they still hug me back.

Jill pats my head and says, "Go now, Arden."

I nod and run outside the house. As I get in a taxi, I can still see my parents smiling and teary-eyed.

>>>>>

I am standing outside the operating room. Jay is in a critical state.

Alice and the rest of my gang are with me. They told me that Jay was walking home alone from a party and a robber who was escaping from policemen used him as a hostage to escape. The robber didn't manage to escape, but he managed to shot Jay to distract the police.

Rule No. 3: Freedom is doing everything you want, whether it's wrong or right.

Now, this 'freedom' I believe in is the same thing that caused Jay to end up like this. I bury my crying face in my hands while my friends comfort me.

Oh God, please save Jay. I promise to be a good daughter and a good person if You just save his life.

For the first time, I prayed. I never believed in God after He let my real parents die in that fire when I was little. Now, I really need His help.

The doctor finally emerges from the operating room. I hold my breath as he faces us.

"The patient is stable. He will stay at the hospital for a few weeks until he fully recovers."

As I hear the doctor's words, more tears flow down my eyes, but now I'm also smiling.

Thank you, God. I will surely stay true to my promises to You, my parents, and Sophie.