"Did he spike your drink? It could be that date drug!" Lucy cried out, fitfully.

"No, I was not drugged," Cat replied earnestly.

Lucy just didn't understand it. She looked at Emily confused, but Emily only said tightly, "Stop interrupting and let her tell how it happened."

"So, like I said, this guy turned up at the party looking completely out of place and I knew instantly he was a gate crasher. That he shouldn't even be there," Cat begun her explanations sending butterflies of tension crawling in Lucy's midsection. She shuddered in immediate horror expecting the worst.

"He was soooo cute. I mean cute. You know how I'm unlike Em in thinking that every guy is the cutest thing on earth but this guy. This guy! He really was!"

That made absolutely no sense to Lucy and turning to catch Emily's gaze she knew it made no sense to her either. Cat just didn't notice things like men. Her nose was too buried in her books for that. Always.

"I was struck standing there watching him and he noticed. Over the din and in the crowded room filled with girls dressed to impress, he saw me," she related, matter-of-factly, then added as if in awe. "Plain and simple me."

Lucy cringed feeling somehow at fault. She should have been there to protect her little sister. Never mind that she wasn't invited. There were other gate crashers there weren't there? He had been a gate crasher. She should have been one too.

"There's nothing plain about you, Cat," added Emily unhelpfully, for there really wasn't.

Cat really was anything but plain. She was after all, Emily's identical twin. She may not be as flamboyant in her dress sense... alright she dressed as bad as Lucy, but otherwise she looked hot. Lucy didn't get how she could miss it. She was Emily's twin for goodness sake. Didn't that two and two add to four in her book?

"I watched him approach me looking amazingly sexy and ruffled and I wanted to get all over him like a rash," Cat explained, and Lucy winced having catapulted headlong into the past to her own sixteenth birthday to be exact. The very one she'd celebrated at Jace's in a pool party that had landed her first soul-scorching kiss. The very one that had lent her half-crazy over Jace ever since. Oh god!

"He approached me and leaned down close, so he could speak right in my ear, so I could hear over the din you know, and he said, 'Want to fuck?' and I just said 'Yes!"," Cat explained simply. It had really seemed like the only option for her at that time. He had been so sweltering hot; how could she not have melted into a puddle at his feet?

Lucy felt faint.

"You see! You see why I had to keep dragging Cat along from one party to another. She hasn't a clue how to respond to an interested male." Emily was swift to go on the defensive, but Lucy was not about to let her off so easily.

"It was your dragging her off to one of your parties that landed her in hot soup in the first place. You should have just left her alone or better yet, keep her with you at all times at those parties."

"I am not a child to require constant looking after," protested Cat in affront, but she was only lambasted for her efforts with piercing gold and blue hues of incredulousness. Cat was not ordinarily known for being stupid but there were clearly exceptions for everybody.

"It was just this once," she added reasonably. "What are the odds of my coming across such a perfect specimen of the male of our species, again?" The last was said a little woefully.

"Then what happened?" Lucy demanded, to wrought for such ridiculousness, she knew it was just nerves that had Cat putting on such bravado. Both Emily and Lucy strained forward, stunned but waiting for more. But Cat had fallen silent and appeared lost in thought.