Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Lucy my dear, how are you?"

Mrs Josephine Neil called out as she plodded her way to the front door to greet her. Jace had that in common with them, warm and chubby mums who made cuddling into an addiction. Lucy happily sank her thin frame into her embrace.

But that enthusiasm dimmed instantly as she was pulled out of her warm hug and then all but thrust into Jace's dad's enveloping embrace. An embrace that was as always, bone crushing and to the point of almost suffocating. It was also followed by a heavy pat on her head.

"Lucy my dear, have you grown any bigger? Still no hair, I see." Daniel Neil boomed out at her before shaking his head in disapproval. He thumped at her back mightily sending the last breath out of her lungs in a wisp so that she had to croak out her response, "Great to see you again, Mr Neil."

Then she was being tugged out of Mr Neil's bear hug and into a gentler version of it. Only this one heated her up, creating that strange yearning sensations again that was equally effective in stealing her breath.

"Dad," murmured the husky voice belonging to Jace as he breathed over her ruffling the tousled strands of her hair. "You were squashing her," admonished her rescuer Jace, taking the moment to subtlety squeeze her before he too released Lucy with a sure grin.

Lucy couldn't help her glare at that. In the short space of his dropping by her house to their arrival at his place, Jace had taken shameless advantage of invading her personal space at every turn. But to what intent? Was he on to her? Did he know she suffered this undeniable attraction to the insufferable man? Was he playing her? Narrowing her eyes knowingly at the playful glint in his, she couldn't help believing there was truth to her suspicions.

Lucy drew in a ragged breath that instantly filled her straining lungs and was happy she was spared from having to respond at all with Emily's timely outburst," I'm starving! Is there anything to eat?"

They all laughed at that, Lucy more so than usual. But her forced laugh seemed to have the desired effect, releasing the strange tension that seemed to grow within her each time she was in Jace's vicinity. Feeling a little of the usual normalcy return, Lucy drew in a relieved breath which then got caught in her throat as she made the mistake of catching Jace's knowing grin.

It had all begun three summers ago, this cat and mouse chase between Jace and Lucy. Since her sweet sixteenth to be exact. When her lips found themselves locked against his in a her very first kiss. Her only kiss since. That lip lock had been guilty of many a late night wet dream. At least it had for her. Jace, however, flitted from blossom to blossom with each change in the season. His interest in her was nothing more than to torment, knowing his effect on her.

But no more! As with every year, since, her resolution to keep Jace on end and guessing, still stood. To her way of thinking, it didn't matter how much she panted over him. If she wasn't admitting it, she was safe. Just as with any other game. To admit their mutual attraction is to concede defeat.

She narrowed her eyes at him warningly. "Don't forget my surf board," she called back to Jace, as she made to follow the rest into tiny kitchen space.

It didn't make sense, the Neil's with all their millions, couldn't set aside a few grand to extend the place. They certainly splashed enough in renovating it and furnishing it and it was not as though they didn't have the land to support it. Sighing inwardly, she plastered the smile expected of her as she settled herself onto the kitchen stool to answer the rudimentary questions about her mum and dad and then respond to the usual reminiscence over the last time they had gotten together there.