Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Lucy!"

Their mum, Mary Little, rounded in on her, as soon as she set foot into the dining room. "Did you know about any of this?"

"Cut her some slack, luv. At least let her have some coffee first."

Lucy's dad and frequent saviour winked at her. Mum huffed as she waddled off to do her thing in the kitchen and Lucy grabbed herself a cup of coffee and went over to slump into a chair beside Dad.

"Morning Daddy," Lucy said, leaning over to give him a kiss on the cheek. "And, thank you," she whispered as she leaned back. Dad was her favourite person in the whole wide world. He understood her. Stoic and kindly, he shouldered the emotional baggage of the Little women and faced the world bravely.

Patrick Little only smirked his usual secretive smile at her before diving back into the papers.

Lucy paused for a moment assessingly, but the noise in the kitchens showed no signs of abating. She doubted the exquisite aroma of pancakes she had scented would ever materialise. With a heavy sigh, she proceeded to slap together two slices of warm toast, slathered with a liberal amount of melting butter and sweet strawberry jam before cramming them into her mouth.

"Tsk tsk." Dad clucked at her shoddy table manners, but Lucy only grinned back unabashed.

"So, she is in love with Jace today, is she?" Dad asked conversationally, after a while. He looked away from his paper at Lucy, wanting clarification. Emily's on again off again fascination with various men rarely pinged on their father's radar, but Lucy wasn't surprised to hear his interest in this one. He had business dealings with Jace's father.

In fact, he practically worked for him. He was the Neil's family accountant after all.

Lucy could only nod with her mouth still stuffed full. She munched purposefully slowly hoping to delay any need for further response to none. Discussing Emily's love life or lack thereof was not the way she wanted to begin her day.

"Fine! Go tell him that you love him. Make a fool out of yourself and your sisters for all I care," declared their very flustered mother as she made her way back to the dining room with her sisters in tow. Mary placed a plate of bacon and eggs on the table and plopped down in her seat.

"Are we expecting someone?" Lucy asked over the waiting plate of hot breakfast that her mouth instantly watered to consume.

"Jace is stopping over to fetch you girls for the long weekend."

The long weekend was a whole four consecutive days off, for those who worked but it did nothing for the Little sisters who were already on summer break. With Lucy already graduated but still undecided over her career paths and Cat waiting for term to start at university so she could pursue a career in medicine. That left only Emily, who would be sadly returning back to college come end of January. But the trio were on their break now and had been looking forward to having a leisurely time of it.

Only, with Jace appearing so soon on the scene and commandeering their company for the weekend, it appeared the fates were ganging up against her. She appeared bound for a weekend from hell. Not only would she have to contend with Emily and her budding love for the infallible Jace Neil, but she'd have to suffer his smug mug for the duration as well.

"Ohmigod! Ohmigod! Ohmigod!" Emily fell into instant raptures.

Lucy rolled her eyes at Dad and chuckled outright at his look of mock revulsion. Dad loved Jace as if he were his own but in light of Emily's new-found infatuation with the poor fellow, even he could see the pitfalls of this visit.