"Cassie,"

She looked up and smiled. Not caring one bit to fight with Lewis on something as trivial as this. Her research had just made her content and happy. Lewis had an affinity for confusing her.

"What is it, Lewis? I'm working."

He approached her. His face contorting to a grimace of pain and discomfort. Cassie turned her face away from him and back to her work.

"Cassie, I--"

She looked up and clenched her jaw. "I know. But it's okay. I understand. You're a man. You're inclined to be unfaithful. If you want to break whatever we have, you're free to do so."

"No, Cassie. No, it was a mistake. I'm not going to do it again. Please!"

She pulled her glasses off and threw them on the desk before her. "Look. I hope you used protection and didn't catch anything. Plus, I wouldn't want someone knocking on my door with a little Lewis crying for his daddy."

"Babe, please. I--"

"No, you have nothing to be apologetic about. Humans are generally tuned to polygamy. Monogamous lifestyle doesn't fit on their animalistic side. We're monkeys after all, aren't we?"

"What are you trying to tell me, Cas?"

"Don't get upset when my time comes for having a one night stand. At least, I'll use protection."

"I think you've gone too far."

"Aha!" She exclaimed. "See, it hurts you thinking me with someone else. But you didn't consider how I felt at that moment.  I must say, I'm thankful. I realised my true feelings for you only to suppress them further."

"Feelings? What feelings?"

Cassie pulled back her hair and glared at him. The flames of her glance made him unease. "I love you, Lewis. You know how I can't just keep silent about certain things. I tell you how I feel. I don't keep it in."

Lewis' eyes watered, tears gathering fast as he turned his face away from her. She stood before him smiling softly, and Lewis' heart was broken in a thousand small pieces that made him think twice before every lying to her or trying anything else. He didn't know what to expect from her. He didn't. And that confession she just did made him feel unworthy and dirty. He shook his head and made to grab her hands, but Cassie pulled them away as she sighed heavily and pursed her lips, the smile falling away.

He fell on his knees before her, pulling her legs to him, locking his arms around her waist. He exhaled with a painful sigh and pressed his face to her belly. No, words just couldn't explain how bad he felt and Cassie's cold reaction only made it worse, far worse. He could keep up with fighting with her, screaming and shouting at each other. But with this cold indifference that was secretly coated in too much emotion, he just couldn't do it. Cassie's words echoed in his soul. She loved him and Lewis had cheated on her. How more of an ass could he be? She hadn't asked for anything else but fairness and devotion. She didn't demand gifts and expensive stuff.

And there he was, betraying probably the best thing that happened to him for a moment of bliss. Cassie blinked as she looked down at him, she patted his curls lightly and looked away.

"It's okay." She said. "I don't anticipate great feelings from you. I knew what I was getting when I opted for it. You're a womanizer. A playboy. And I am the best thing that happened to you. But you're too blind to see. It's okay. I understand. You don't seek someone above you, you need someone below you." Cassie grabbed his hand from around her waist and pulled them away, taking a step back. "I can't be that someone, Lew. Let's be honest. I love you, but feelings can be suppressed when logic prevails. I think we have to part ways. It's logical and mathematically correct."

He looked up at her with tears in his eyes. "Cassie, please don't."

"Maths never lie, unlike people. The probability of us surviving as a couple was too small from the beginning. Let's don't fight the natural way of things."

"Cassie, don't do this to us. I want to be with you and only you. That was a moment of weakness."

"Facts don't lie. They don't. They never do. I told you I don't give second chances to no one. Never. Not once. I'm not going to start now."

"Why? What if this is destiny? What if we're meant to be?"

Cassie shook her head and pulled him up by his hands. "If we're meant to be then the universe will find a way. I don't believe in the foolishness of destiny. I just can't."

"I don't want to lose you, please forgive me. Cassie, please."

"I think you need a second chance. I think you need to take a moment in your life and concentrate on what matters most. I'll resign from Mercedes. I think about seeking my own fate in the states."

"You're leaving me."

She rolled her eyes. "Not you, I am leaving many things. I just believe I want to try my chances and cheat fate."

"You can't leave me."

"It was nice for as long as it lasted. Nice. Really. You made me realise that feelings are very versatile things. They can be good at times. Anyway, congratulations on the race and I hope you have the best life and find one day that special someone." She smiled and sat back down on her desk, turning to look at her work.

Lewis was astounded. He was hurt and he was in pain. Pain that passed through the thick walls that he had built around him. He was a fool and a madman for ever allowing her to walk away. He shook his head and sighed.

"I think I should leave."

Cassie smiled at him. "I can have Mary book you a flight. She's paid for a reason."

"No, it's okay." His voice trembled and Cassie didn't fail to notice it, she noticed the tears streaming down his face too and that his hands were clenched into tight fists. "Goodbye, Cassie."

She kept her smile to her face and nodded. "I hope the very best in your life, Lewis Hamilton."

He nodded and left her lab with a heart so heavy he felt the weight dangerously enough. Cassie kept staring at her screen for as long as it took him to pack and leave through the garage door with his car. She kept silent as the car's engine was lost to the sounds of the night and the house was so still it scared her too much. 

The emptiness spread to her heart and to her mind and when she realised what she had done, she threw the keyboard and the blueprints on the floor and growled for her pain and her foolishness. 

Cassie fell to her knees, her hands covering her face as the sadness of Lewis' voice pricked into her soul.

There at that moment, Cassiopeia Rochester did something she had decades to do. 

She cried. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sad. I'm really sorry about this chapter. And to think that today Lewis won the German GP and I am floating on cloud nine and have a permanent smile on my face. But it had to be written. I promise the next ones would be better. Comment and Vote if you liked. 

Love you all,

Minerva.