Chapter 8: An Easy Task

"Wow, you're angry. That's rare. What happened?"

Katherine looked up at Mary and shook her head, eating her breakfast quietly. She wasn't in the mood to eat – for the second time in a row, which was odd –, but she didn't want her friends to worry, and she didn't want her growling stomach to bother her in class either, so she forced herself to eat.

As she was casually looking around, her eyes met with his. There was that stupid smirk on his lips again.

Why is he so satisfied with himself? He just roasted my House, for Merlin's sake! He should be sorry.

She pursed her lips together and looked down, continuing to eat with a frown on her face.

"So he happened," Mary nodded.

"Come on, Kat! Again?" Annie asked in disbelief. "This is going to be a long year..."

"Stupid, cocky Slytherin..." Kat murmured, then she put her hand over her mouth. "I didn't mean that, I'm sorry."

Her friends laughed, knowing that she didn't, she was just a little upset.

"Talking about Slytherin," Mary smirked, looking over at Tony. "What's up with you and Pansy?"

He chuckled lightly, shaking his head.

"She's fine, really. She always pretends to be annoyed with me when I tell her one of my jokes, but I can tell she likes them."

"Aw, that's great!" Kat smiled at him.

They finished their breakfast slowly, then it was time for them to head to class.

Charms was fine, Katherine didn't have a problem with that class. She was fairly good at it too.

Divination was... Interesting. She liked the whole concept of it, she just wasn't sure if she should believe in some things or not.

After lunch, she had a little free time, so she decided to go up to her room and read a little, but her plan got ruined once she opened the door and she saw Draco sitting on the sofa, staring at the fireplace.

"Hi," she murmured, afraid to look at him for some reason.

"Hello, Katherine."

She stood in the doorway awkwardly, not sure what to do with herself. She wanted to sit down, but she didn't want to risk sitting down next to him in case she makes him angry.

"Are you going to sit down, or are you just going to stand there, like a tree?"

She looked at him, sighing nervously, then she sat down on the sofa carefully, making sure there was plenty of space between them.

The room was silent, none of them saying anything. Kat was too afraid to, and Draco seemed to be deep in thought.

"Can I ask you something?" He broke the silence, but still not looking at her.

"Sure," the girl nodded.

"Why did you sleep on the sofa last night instead of the bed?"

Katherine was caught a little off-guard, she wasn't expecting that question.

"Well, it was obvious one of us would have to, and since you are much taller than me, I figured you should be the one sleeping on the bed."

And I didn't want to make you angry by taking the bed either, so yeah.

Draco finally looked at her, raising one of his eyebrows.

"That's rather thoughtful of you."

She gave him a weak smile and shrugged, not expecting an apology at that point.

"We have our first Life Class today," Draco said with a monotone voice.

"Yeah, I know."

"See you then," he stood up and walked out of the room without looking back.

Kat let out a frustrated sigh, hoping that the ice between them would break eventually.

***

She walked into the classroom, seeing some other 7th year couples already sitting there. She guessed that everyone had to sit next to their pair, since everyone sat like that, so she sat down on an empty loveseat, happy that at least they could sit on something comfortable.

After a minute or so, Katherine saw Draco plopping down next to her.

"Hey there," he smiled at her.

She was confused at first, but that little gesture made her so happy, she had to smile back at him.

"Welcome to your first Life Class, everyone!"

McGonagall walked in, starting the class.

"We are going to start with a rather easy task. All you have to do is tell each other about how you imagine your future together and your family."

Oh, that's an easy task?

"You can start now."

Katherine turned to Draco, who was already looking at her.

"Do you want to go first?" She asked, and he nodded.

"Sure... So to be honest, I've already thought this through. I'll be in a very high position, probably at the Ministry, and you'll be home with the kids."

"What? You want me to sit home all day and just do nothing?"

"Well, if you ask me, I think four kids are a lot of work-"

"Four kids?!" Kat asked, her eyes wide.

"I want a big family," Draco nodded. "Being an only child wasn't fun, and we'll have the money to provide a good life for them as well, so I don't see the problem."

"Yeah, because it's not you who has to push them out!"

Draco smirked at his future wife.

"Don't worry, babe," he leaned closer to her. "I'll be there, holding your hand the entire time."

Kat felt herself starting to blush, and Draco leaned back, winking at her.

"Okay, and uh... Where do you want to live?"

He put one of his hands on top of the loveseat's back, thinking for a few seconds before answering.

"We'll obviously have a huge house, preferably somewhere peaceful. I haven't decided on a specific house yet, though, I would want to get your opinion on them first."

Katherine was genuinely happy about that. Maybe he did care about her after all.

"Our kids will attend Hogwarts, of course, when the time comes. I'm hoping they will be sorted into Slytherin."

"Don't get your hopes up about that," she said, crossing her arms. "They'll have a Hufflepuff mother, and if I understood you correctly, you said that I'll be with them while you're at work, which means that my influence on them will possibly be bigger, and I don't have a lot of Slytherin traits."

He stared at her blankly, not too happy about what she just said.

"I hope they'll be Gryffindor's," Kat grinned.

"Yeah, no way," Draco shook his head. "They can be Hufflepuff's, even Ravenclaw's for all I care, just not Gryffindor, anything, but Gryffindor."

She laughed at the look on his face.

"Well, I don't care what their house is going to be as long as they are healthy and happy."

Draco stared into her eyes, believing that what she said was true.

He had no problem imagining that situation where one of their kids would tell them they got sorted into Gryffindor, him getting upset while Katherine is happy for them, telling them not to worry about their dad and how he would get over it in a few days.

That thought definitely made him smile.