Chapter 14, Change

"Hi, Dad? Um... It's Summer. You were right. I'm coming home. This was a terrible idea."

If he'd been on the other end, he'd have said 'I told you so', surely he would. Making the voicemail allowed me to get out what I wanted to say. I stared at my printed out plane ticket. Tomorrow morning at 9, I would be in the air, away from the wolves, the old house, the lake, and Dakota...

My heart stirred in my chest, attempting to make me feel some type of emotion, for my eyes to pour with tears... but I shut my brain off, and focused on packing what I wanted to bring back to California.

I would be coming back to the practical place, the reasonable choice for living and going to school. I'd try to apply to colleges in the spring, and maybe try asking for my old job at the craft store back. I'd liked that... hadn't I? My mind shifted to slow days where not even four people would come in, or busy after-holiday sales where the store was flooded with frantic middle-aged women eager to buy ornaments and snowman candlesticks and Christmas-themed birdhouses with expired coupons that they tried making me check anyway.

I let out a sigh and slid my back down the wall, burying my head in my palms. The crisp sent of pine trees mixed together with sweet, fragrant summer flowers wafted through the open windows of the bedroom, and its essence threatened to break my composure-- to make me stay and appreciate its natural beauty.

The barbecue had been scheduled for tomorrow. Now it would never happen. Luna leaned by me, and licked my knee. I wrapped her up in my arms and whispered

"No matter what, I'm not going anywhere without you."

She nuzzled her nose into my side, as if reciprocating the sentiment.

After packing, I had draped the cleaned white sheets over the large pieces of furniture once more, the house looking eerie and full of ghosts, especially the way the cloth draped over the grandfather clock in the moonlight. I peered out at the moon. It's full appearance danced over the water of the lake, and lit up the sky and stars with such majesty. Something inside me yearned deeply for one last swim. My last ever swim here in Lake Seymour, before some other family would move in and take my place here. Before I would go off to finish college.

The cool water lapped at my feet, and my body submerged into the glistening, celestial water. My swim made me feel absolute peace in the midst of my turmoil, and the tranquil waters embraced me passionately, soothing my worry. But somehow I was being released by its presence. I felt the water push against me, my body nearing the dock. I tried to resist, fighting against the current. Fighting to stay in the water. Diving under, even, to stop the unexplainable movement towards the shore. I'd passed even the dock, and now my knees brushed against the soft, warm mud of the bank, and the tiny, delicate-rooted plants that grew from that mush. I stood, the water beading off of me, leaving my hair.

Within steps, I was out of the lake, and the water had left me, all of it. My bikini felt dry to the touch, and small pieces of my dry hair blew against the sides of my face in the soft breeze. If without my memory, I'd have never believed I swam in the lake at all.

I felt something staring at me. A large, soulful eye that wanted to communicate with me. Just behind me. I turned, again facing the lake, and met the gaze of the full moon. It was not an eye, yet it saw me, knew me, loved me. And I? I loved it too. Was beckoned by it, and these waters, and this place.

I could never leave. I would never truly want to. In my core, I was part of this setting. It was the lake, the trees, the moon, and I. All one, all together.

A slight tingling sensation started in my scar, and worked its way up my arm, down my hand, into my feet, my legs, my neck, head, behind my eyes, and finally, to my heart. The feeling was calming, warm. I felt awake in a new way. My eyes saw with sharper detail. I watched a lightning bug ten feet away as it made its way across the midnight sky. I smelled a burning fire. Two miles away, maybe two and a half. The melody of someone's campfire song, far, far, far away somehow included me. I heard the soft, distant sound of a guitar. Was it Dakota playing? Or was that just wishful thinking?

My head drifted down, moving with increased flexibility than I'd ever remembered having. I saw two large, orange paws, and thick, black nails like crescent moons, sticking out of the soft fur. There was no element of surprise in those moments. That would come later, surely; but now I just felt certain that this was my home. These were my paws. Despite having felt terrified before, now I felt exhilarated. I wanted to run, to jump, to howl. Could I talk? I wondered.

I tried out saying 'hello', but found myself simply whining. I next tried out running, and could hardly believe the rate at which the trees were coming for me. I had never run so fast in my life. I ran a circle around the lake, covering the vast land in less than two hours. I came back to my dock, and literally stared out at the lake with new eyes. Behind myself, I heard soft footsteps through dried leaves. I turned, and saw a pair of honey yellow eyes attached to a dark brown beast. I wanted to whisper in that moment 'Dakota', but only a small growl rumbled in my throat. He sauntered over, and sat beside me, licking my snout in greeting. I could not believe the sheer size of him. I had thought I was a large creature, but his shape was massive, and was arguably more of a wer-bear than a werewolf, as far as I was concerned.

Though we couldn't communicate verbally, he motioned to me that he would like to run. I followed, and we ran deep into the trees. I chased him, but he wasn't as fast as I. Then, he chased me, and couldn't catch me until I let him.

I woke on my front porch, lying on the porch swing. Dakota had draped himself over the porch steps, and though the way he was twisted looked incredibly uncomfortable, he slept peacefully. I said

"Dakota? Dakota!"

He jumped slightly at the sound of his name

"Yeah?"
I asked, amazed

"Did last night... really happen?"
He grinned, meeting my stare

"Yes. Welcome to my pack."