Chapter Sixteen (Pt. 2) : This is New

ابدأ من البداية

"What?!", I ask wildly, turning forward to face him.

"I saw that," he says as we pull away from the house.

"Can I not flirt with him?"

"That's what you call flirting nowadays?"

"Hey, if it works it works."

"You don't have to flirt with that guy, he already really likes you. Pretty obvious."

Oh dad, you have no idea.

~

"I need to see you," I tell Dylan over the phone, an hour later.

"Why? I saw you like an hour ago."

"I really hope you're joking right now."

"Definitely. I want to see you too."

"I have to warn you, I got some questions for you."

He pauses for a minute, "W-what? About what?"

"Let me come get you and you'll find out."

"Um, okay. Pick me up in like twenty minutes... Should I be worried? Because I'm worried."

I chuckle, "You worry yourself too much, honestly. There's nothing to worry about. I am your girlfriend, after all."

When I pull up outside of his house, Dylan is already sitting outside on his front steps. As he walks up to my car, his mom waves to me through the window. I smile and wave back, immediately wondering if maybe he'd told her about us. Once he's buckled up and the door is closed, I continue on down the road.

"It's really funny to see you driving this car," he says. "You know, because it's so big and you're like, a midget."

"A midget?! I know I'm short but, wow, what a low blow."

"Aw, come on. You know it's all in good fun. Besides, it just makes you cuter."

I smile at him as I take a left turn, "First question I have for you: did you tell your mom that we're dating now?"

He shakes his head vigorously, "No, I don't think I will for a little while."

"Okay. I was just wondering because she waved at me and looked really happy to see me."

"She just really likes you, that's why," he explains. "Did you tell your parents?"

"Yeah, right," I answer sarcastically. "I think if I told them that you asked me when we were alone in the hotel last night..."

"Yeah, I see what you're getting at. Good call."

We finally reach our destination, which I had predetermined to be a children's playground that lies near this brilliant forest. It's a million shades of beautiful greens and seems profuse, awakening the adventurous part of me. The two of us exit my car, slam the doors behind us, and walk over towards a wide opening to the forest.

As we enter the trees, the opening narrows and the leaves begin to intersect, several feet above our heads. A clear dirt path stretches far before us, winding and turning and descending into unknown and undiscovered grounds. Side by side, we begin our journey through it.

"You know," I begin as dry leaves crunch beneath our feet. "You never gave me a 'hello' kiss."

Dylan looks a bit surprised, "I forgot I can do that now."

I laugh, "Well, now that you remember..."

He takes the cue and stops me from walking further. He turns me to face him and gives a cute little grin before bending down and placing a sweet kiss right onto my lips.