Chapter 13 - Eventful Summer

Mark and Jack spent nearly every day of summer together. Mark constantly came over and spent the night at Jack's apartment several times. Mark and Jack went to a bar with friends once and struck up a conversation with one of the bartenders. Her name was Joanne, Jo for short, and her and Jack became really close friends.

Mark went out one day and asked Jack if he could walk Chica. Jack excitedly agreed, and took her for a walk around Mark's neighborhood.

It was a slightly cooler summer day than usual, so Jack took the opportunity to wear his ripped skinny jeans and a beanie. Jack's new favorite part of summer was wearing whatever he wanted instead of having to abide by the school dress code. He wore t-shirts, converse, and gauges every day.

Jack walked down the side of a long street with earbuds in blasting alternative music. Chica pranced down the sidewalk, happily exploring as Jack followed behind her.

Suddenly, Chica tugged on the leash and ran up to someone walking the opposite way down the same sidewalk. Jack laughed and took out his earbuds to apologize to the person, but they had already dived down and were petting Chica excitedly.

"Haha, sorry. She's a sweet puppy, but she's not very good at leaving strangers alone." Jack looked down at the person, who was also wearing a beanie.

They quickly looked up, hearing a familiar voice. They saw Jack's face and grinned brightly. "Hi, Mr. McLoughlin!" Addison stood up.

"Oh, hi Addison!" Jack laughed. "What a small world. How's your summer been?"

"Good! Been trying to get out more and walk a bit." She smiled. "I like your piercings, and your hat." She giggled. "Nice jeans."

Jack rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah... I never really grew out of my emo teen phase, I guess."

"Well, I haven't either." Addison gestured to herself. She wore a rock festival shirt and Galaxy pattered skinny jeans. "Your dog is so adorable! What's her name?"

"Her name is Chica!" Jack answered excitedly. "She's not actually my dog, she's my boyfriend's dog." Jack answered. He suddenly realized what he had just said, "Oh, oops. You weren't supposed to know that, oh God." Jack face flushed bright red.

Addison laughed. "Dude, you're talking to the gayest person you could ever meet."

"Oh, okay, thank goodness." Jack laughed.

"I guess I'll leave you alone. You have a great summer!" Addison waved and started making her way down the street.

"You, too!" Jack waved, and continued his walk with Chica. He hadn't even walked for a full minute before a car sped down the street and squealed to a stop next to him, blaring it's horn.

Jack shrieked, and Addison whipped around to look at Jack.

"Get in, loser! We're getting ice cream!" Mark rolled down his window and shouted at Jack.

Jack took deep breaths and put his hand over his chest. "Jesus, you scared me!" He laughed.

"COME ON!!!" Mark whined and beeped the horn several times.

"Okay, okay!" Jack jumped, then opened the back door. He let Chica climb in, then he shut the door and climbed into the front seat.

The car resumed speeding down the empty road. Jack stuck his head out the window and shouted, "BYE, ADDISON!"

Addison laughed, then resumed her walk.

----------

Mature Content Warning