The Worst Birthday

Start from the beginning

Mr Ollivander laughed. "I believe being the Master of the Elder Wand is sufficient enough qualifications to begin an apprenticeship with me. Let me brew us some tea and we can discuss the position in finer detail."

***

"Harry!"

Hermione jumped to her feet from the corner table in the Leaky Cauldron and pulled Harry into a warm hug. Ron gave him a hard pat on the back as he sat down at the table.

"How you doing, mate?" he asked.

"Good," said Harry. "Better, thanks. How have you two been getting on?"

Hermione and Ron looked warmly at each other and held hands. Harry felt a twinge in his chest at the sight. He was happy that his two best friends had found each other, but it made him all too aware of the absence of love in his own life.

"We're both doing really well," smiled Hermione. "I'm going back to school after the summer. I need to get N.E.W.T.S. if I want to work at the Ministry."

"Makes sense," said Harry nodded, sipping his Butterbeer. "What about you? You heading back to Hogwarts?"

"Nah," Ron waved his hand dismissively. "I've had enough learning to last me a lifetime, thanks. George is taking some time off work at the moment, so I'm keeping things ticking over at the joke shop until he feels up to coming back."

Harry nodded solemnly. "How is everyone keeping?"

Ron shrugged, looking glum. "George just hides up in his room most of the time. My dad...he's taken it the worst, he won't stop crying. My mum's trying to keep it together for the two of them, but it's going to take time, you know? It still feels like Fred's on a long holiday, I keep thinking he'll just walk through the door at any moment."

Hermione squeezed Ron's hand. There was a long silence as Harry, Ron and Hermione sat deep in thought, thinking about Fred and everyone else that they had lost. Ron wiped away a tear and plastered a big smile on his face.

"I've got some good news, though," he said. "I spoke to Kingsley and he says once I've settled things at the joke shop he'll put me forward for the Auror programme."

"That's great!" said Harry. "You've always wanted to be an Auror. And it's not like you need N.E.W.T.S., you've already got plenty of practical experience fighting Dark wizards."

"That's what I said! Seems Kingsley agrees. And he said you've got a place secured in the Auror programme too, if you want it."

Harry's smile faltered. "That's very generous of him."

"Well you'll have to do something now you've left Hogwarts," said Hermione. "Then again, maybe you want to go back to Hogwarts and get your qualifications! It is the more sensible thing to do, after all."

"What's the point? He literally defeated Voldemort— twice! I'd say he's more than qualified," Ron turned to Harry. "So what do you say? Are you heading back to Hogwarts with Hermione to read stuffy old books, or do you fancy catching some bad guys with me?"

Ron and Hermione looked at him expectantly. Harry took another sip of his butterbeer and said, "Neither, actually."

Ron and Hermione frowned.

"What do you mean?" asked Hermione, "What are you going to do then?"

Harry smiled. "Something a little more domestic."

Hermione and Ron shared a confused look and he added, "As luck would have it, I just spoke to Ollivander. He's looking for an apprentice to train up and take over the shop after he retires."