Chapter 20 - Do Not Call Me Buttercup

The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about. - unknown

"Alright lads, McDonald this is a respectable event and you'll all behave accordingly

"Alright lads, McDonald this is a respectable event and you'll all behave accordingly. No weapons, no drinking. John we will stay together. When the horse comes up I'll do the bidding. I've already registered my interest with the auctioneer, so he knows to expect my bids." Tommy explained to everyone as we walked up the stairs to the auction room.

"Do I get to run my hand over her Tommy?" Curly asked excitedly.

"We will have a vets report Curly, so keep and eye open when she's walks." He told him.

"I got a bad feeling about that something isn't right."

"It's alright Curly you're just in an unfamiliar place. We all are." Tommy dismissed Curly feeling.

"But I get feelings sometimes." He tried again but Tommy shook his head.

"It's alright Curly, it's alright."

"Shut up Curly." Arthur said which rendered Curly quiet in seconds, Lillian rolled her eyes giving Arthur a glare before she stepped up to the banister, looking down on the horses as her brothers Harry and Will step up either side of her.

"Why do we need to be here?" Harry asked, arms crossed as he looked at the horses.

"You don't but you two have got nothing better to do and I would rather get you out of that town for a bit." She answered and Will scoffed.

"I could have important business at home that I could be doing." He said and Lillian turned to look at him, eyebrows raised.

"And do you have business to do?" She asked.

"No but that's beside the point I—"

"Shut up Will." Harry and Lillian interrupted him together and he nodded his head.

"Okay."

"Morals of Marcus, Sedgemere stud, by Tetrach out of Lady Josephine.We'll start the bidding at 800 guineas." The auctioneer announced and they all looked down at a beautiful grey horse.

"All right, Tommy, this is her." Charlie whispered to him and he nodded.

"Do I hear 800 guineas? 850? Do I hear 9? 9 am I bid? 950? 1000? Do I hear 1050? 1100?" The auctioneer said and Tommy turned his attention to the woman opposite him and Harry who had been watching him nudged Lillian who followed his gaze to Thomas and then looked at what he was looking at.

And it was fare to say that the woman was very good looking, very upper class with the way she dressed and Lillian couldn't help but feel a twinge or discomfort in her stomach something that she hasn't felt in a while even when Thomas brought back his whores. This was different.