Chapter 14

The words echoed in Buffy's mind as if it had been a broken record that never ceased. Angel anxiously awaited Buffy's response and eventually spoke after a painful silence.

        "How?" she said calmly.

        "I'm not sure. But it is truly him. His arrogance has not faded...him and I had a deal..."

        "Deal? What was it?"

        "He would stay far from you but help me protect you."

        "Protect me?! I think I have proven that I can protect myself!"

        "I'm sorry Buffy..."

        "Where is he?"

        "The abandon cafe just outside of town. It was the only place boarded up enough."

        "Make sure these girls get home safe Angel."

        "Where are you going?"

        "To go find out how somebody who had been made into ash can be reanimated again..." Xander drove her to the abandoned cafe to find the entire place black. Boards were linned along the outside, doors, and windows. There was a smell of alcohol and an emo kind of music.

        "Spike?" Buffy called out quietly. As she spoke, the music in the structure had ceased and it became deadly quiet.

        She entered the cafe to find a few dozen candles lighting each corner except one. The corner had been immensely dark but Buffy could sense a being there.

        "Spike?" she repeated, only this time looking directly at him.

        "Buffy.." his British accent she had missed so much spoke.

        She stepped back as she saw his scars and cuts.

        "It's really you?" she said as tears welled in her eyes.

        He nodded and Buffy hugged him.

        Tears poured down her cheeks and Spike shed a few tears.

        "How?"

        "Karma....she's a witch that I had helped before the sacrifice. She brought me back but with one condition..."

        Buffy waited anxiously for his explanation.

        "I'm human..."