Realization sinks in

"You like me?", inquired Hermione, letting the words sink in. "Well, that is what I just said Granger, geez how hard did you hit your head", replies Malfoy with his signature smirk, only this time a hint of red was starting to make an appearance across his pale cheeks. " Wait are you blushing", asked Hermione, a tone of humor in her voice, " the Draco Malfoy, started blushing because of a mud blood, wow I never thought that'd happen." Malfoy felt a flash of guilt fill his heart. He remembered back to their second year when he had called her that. He hasn't realized the effect it had, he has simply learned it from his father. His father. The death eater, who was in Azcaban. This only made him feel worse, as he also remembered how his aunt, Bellatrix Lestrange tortured Hermione in their manor. Curious as to what she had done to her arm, he cautiously reached out and pulled her sleeve up. Seeing the damage that had been done, he immediately drew his hand away. " She did this to you ", he said, processing the word that had been carved into her skin. He felt anger bubble inside of him. If only he had done something to help. He just stood there, watching helpless as he watched his aunt torture the girl he was in love with. " Malfoy, are you okay". Draco was abruptly pulled out of this thoughts and he realized that Hermione was standing in front of him, he hand over the scar on her arm. " you know what, how do I know this isn't some big prank, besides you've been awful to me all this time, and people can't just change overnight. You act all shocked at what YOUR aunt did to me, when you basically did the same thing to me all those years, but instead of scratching it onto me skin, you etched it into my brain. You broke me time after time Draco. How do I know this isn't one of your stupid pranks designed to humiliate me like you always do", she said close to tears. She abruptly stood up and ran off, her vision blurring.