Chapter 5

The day progressed and so did my conversations with Arthur. I believed this town to be very uninteresting but Arthur proved me wrong with his continuing stories of meadow brook and although the conversation steered away from Jaxson, what Arthur told me lingered in the back of my mind.
Arthur was a very flamboyant story teller that held my attention as he started to dive into the stranger side of meadow brook.
"The people of this town have another reason to be intimidated by the Armstrong family" he spoke softly catching my attention again. "Legend tells of shapeshifter's who live in the forest that surrounds meadow brook" I had to hold back a chuckle at what Arthur had said if I thought the gang rumor was funny this is hilarious
"Shapeshifter's?" I questioned, obviously not believing a word he said.
"Yes dear, men who change into wolves" he spoke completely seriously, I tried to detect if he held any humor in his eyes but I couldn't. He was either telling me the truth or he'd become sadly, completely senile.
"That's utter rubbish Arthur, who told you that?" I became worried for the man who was speaking as if werewolves were real
"No one had to tell me anything, it's all written in the books" and with that said Arthur used his cane to push himself off the couch leaving me wide eyes and confused as I heard him start searching through the shelves behind me.

When he returned he held a large, leather bounded book that looked older than Arthur himself. He placed the book on the coffee table between us and I couldn't help my marvel at the leather engraving on the front of the book. I reached my hand out, tracing the words Lycanthrope with my fingers. "It means Werewolf" Arthur mumbled under his breath "most of the book is in Latin, its origins are unknown." My eyes met his as I opened the book and started scanning the pages. "Why do you have this?" I asked my curiosity increasing as I saw the old ink sketches of horrifying wolves drawn across the pages accompanied by strings of Latin sentences I couldn't understand. "It tells the story of the founding of meadow brook and what supposedly lives in the woods. If it's factual or not I do not know, all I know is that it's history and that's enough for me" his words were honest and I understood why he saw the importance of the book "Do you know what any of it says?" I asked again my brain seemingly moving a mile a minute as I tried to process what I was discovering. "The translations tell a story of men who came to this dense forest to escape prosecution for who they were" he pointed to a picture on one of the first pages that showed a group of large barefooted men traveling in what seemed to be a pack. "It speaks of a leader, what they call an alpha, the one who rules over the pack" he pointed to the man in the picture who was placed in front of the rest, all attention was on him "the book describes them as gruesome and bloodthirsty. It refers to them as beasts" he finished and closed the book. "Does everyone know about this?" I asked which he replied with a simple nod of the head "even if they don't believe it to be true everyone admits that the woods can be unsettling and the wolves that inhabit it to be even more so."

After I left Arthur's i returned home. My curiosity for what he had shared with me still ran thick through my veins so I decided to do some more research. I sat on my bed and grabbed my laptop. I didn't know where to begin i simply typed in werewolf legends and was greeted by thousands of webpages of legends and historic 'proof' of their existence. Without even thinking my eyes started to scan page after page reading all about the creatures that supposedly lived in the woods surrounding my home.
     I read line after line. The common theme following something of horrible beast that raged with anger and destroyed villages others talked about how they were made to protect humans and keep to their own, only stepping in when necessary.

I didn't know what to believe. The idea seemed so far fetched but I couldn't help my naive mind for finding the mythical topic so intriguing. My thoughts ran wildly through my mind. Before I left Arthur he told me to be safe and to not let my curiosity drag me to the woods but as I sat in my room I felt my skin start to crawl with anticipation of wanting to explore and find out for myself. But I promised him and I wouldn't break that promise.

     My thoughts ran back to Jaxson. He had slipped me a piece of paper before he dashed out of the coffee shop with a quiet "if you ever need anything" and left me shocked to see his digits written down.
    I really wanted to text him but I had never done anything like this before. With a gust of courage I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and typed a message.

   Hello this is Noelle, I really enjoyed your company today and would gladly take your offer of you being my tour guide for the day. Xx
I practically screamed as I hit send. Flopping face first onto my bed acting like a total middle school girl who had just found out their crush likes them back. The entire thing was new and strange and made my stomach turn to a knot but their was just something about him that made me feel safe and okay- something I hadn't felt in a really long time.

Then I heard my phone ring

My head shot up so quickly I thought I gave myself whiplash as my hand darted towards my phone. The screen read Jaxson and I speedily answered.
"Hello Noelle" his deep voice greeted me, sending chills down my spine, causing me to swallow thickly.
"H-hi" I returned and I could almost see his smile through the phone
"Are you free tomorrow?" He asked resulting in me becoming wide eyed. I figured he was calling to reject me or tell me that the time we spent together was just part of some charity case. So his question completely caught me off guard
"U-uh yea, I am free" I spoke softly through the phone wanting desperately to be with him talking instead of miles apart
"Perfect. Text me your address and I'll pick you up. Make sure to dress warm. I look forward to seeing you Noelle" I smiled so big at his words I'm sure the entire world could feel the happiness radiating off of me. He was looking forward to seeing me I was practically screaming on the inside at those words.
"Can't wait" I mumbled back, to high on cloud nine that I would be spending time with Jaxson
"Goodnight Noelle" his voice huskily mumbled making my knees go weak
Goodnight Jaxson" I responded before ending the call and jumping up and down. I really couldn't hold my excitement in.
"Are you okay in there?" I heard my dad say through the day

"Yea, I'm perfect...absolutely perfect"