Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

Chapter 73

There was something thin, yet firm, inside the envelope addressed to Evvie

There was something thin, yet firm, inside the envelope addressed to Evvie. My secret pen pal had obviously sent me something special.

A smile teased my mouth just before the guilt at what I now shared with Graysen smothered that delighted feeling.

Lise rose from her seat, then bent over awkwardly to kiss the top of my head. Propping one hand on her hip, she rubbed her pregnant belly with the other. "We'll talk further in the morning about what that's all about." Her gaze dipped pointedly to the envelope in my hands before she winked, then walked away, raising an arm to wave at Aldan.

Still, I was curious. Tearing Evvie's letter open, I pulled out the second envelope, addressed to me. Slicing it carefully open, I plucked out what was contained inside.

My brows rose in surprise. It was a bar coaster. An everyday coaster that sat beneath beer and wine and cocktails. My mouth widened into an excited grin, wondering where it came from while imagining what it must be like at the end of a working day to end up at one's favorite watering hole, ordering your favorite drink. There were beer rings staining the coaster, and stamped on its front in red lettering was 'Firefly Bar.'

A note was scribbled on the back in the neat handwriting of my secret pen pal. I caught a glimpse at a couple of words—'middle of fuck-knows-where'—when my attention was diverted. A shadow fell across the table, as someone bowed, and then settled into the empty chair beside me.

Danne Pelan.

The thing inside me bristled immediately.

I quickly tucked the coaster away in the pocket of my dress before he noticed and could ask questions.

Danne wore a navy tuxedo with a bowtie. He smiled and for the first time, I noticed that it wasn't much of a smile. It seemed fake. A little desperate even. "Nelle."

"Danne," I greeted, polite, yet coolly.

Lifting an arm, he clicked his fingers imperiously. Without even turning toward the servant, he indicated what he wanted by pointing at an empty champagne flute. The servant poured him a glass and before she faded into the background, I gave her my thanks because Danne clearly wasn't going to.

My so-called friend's nose twitched before he sniffed, then rubbed at his nostrils with the flat of his fingers. "Where have you been, Nelle? I've been waiting for you all this time. I had thought perhaps we could spend the evening together since I've seen so little of you this weekend." Before I could even reply, he broke into a long, drawn-out, one-sided conversation about what he'd been up to during the engagement celebrations, the dull speeches, and why Evvie should have chosen a jazz band for the occasion. He drew breath, and as I was about to interrupt, knowing he wasn't aware of how monopolizing he could be, when he quickly said, "Why don't we get out of here? We could go somewhere quieter where we can be alone and catch up properly?"