Chapter 4

You stand in the gray Ravendale street alongside your partner and lab rat, RK800. Rain drizzles from the sky, making the concrete block appear even bleaker in the early morning light. The rogue house android reported to be in the area hasn't been apprehended, just yet. Connor gazes into the convenience store window and you stand next to it, looking in the same general direction. But while its stare is blank, yours is thoughtful. One android waiting to be commanded to think, the other thinking but already commanded what to think about.

"Alright," Anderson mutters to a person who'd been working in the area, "that's all for now. Free to go." He grumpily sends the man off, though doing things in an annoyed fashion isn't anything new for the man.

"We've got officers sweeping the neighborhood, in case anybody saw anything," a stout officer informs him.

"Okay. Well, let me know if they turn anything up."

The officer glances in the direction of the statue-like androids in front of the lieutenant's car, then turns back to Anderson. "What are you gonna do with those?"

After a moment of staring at the two of you, he replies in defeat, "I've no idea..." He slowly approaches, scrolling through some information on a tablet. It takes some time before he really acknowledges your presence.

Connor's eyes come into focus and an expression appears on its face, now that it must interact with a human. "It took the first bus that came along... and stayed at the end of the line," it informs him.

"Its decision wasn't planned," you continue, "it was driven by fear."

Anderson scoffs and smirks at your analysis. "Androids don't feel fear," he haughtily disagrees.

"Deviants do," both you and Connor say in unison. The urge to roll your eyes is difficult to combat. You're pretty sure that you – and Connor, for that matter – understand androids and deviants more than he does.

"They get overwhelmed by their emotions and make irrational decisions," you continue. Anderson looks you over, noticing your annoyance.

"You really don't act like a regular android."

You give a small, albeit a bit condescending, smile. "That's really the point, Lieutenant. I'm not supposed to act like one."

He shakes his head, unsure which annoys him more: Ass kissing Connor, or sarcastic [Y/N]. "Ah well, that still doesn't tell us where it went."

"It didn't have a plan, and it had nowhere to go," Connor deduces. "Maybe it didn't go far..."

"Maybe..." Anderson nods, looking away. He crosses his arms.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see the gate of a garbage-ridden lot open and close. Exiting the place, you see a woman with blonde hair guiding a small brown-haired girl by the hand. Both wear water drenched clothing – the woman sporting a poorly-fitting jacket. They hurriedly walk down the street. Upon closer inspection, the woman's face resembles that of an AX400. The only real differences between her appearance and that of the android model are her hair – which could have been recolored and cut – and her missing LED – which can easily be removed. The girl appears to be a YK500 child android.

Your lips twitch, wanting to mention the woman that looks so much like the deviant model, but you force them to stay shut. Something about how she clings to the girl seems too human. The similarities to a mother-daughter relationship are blatantly obvious. They couldn't be androids. Before your programming forces you to investigate further or Connor notices the direction of your brief glance, you turn your attention back to Anderson.

"It won't get far. We'll find it sooner or later," he continues, uncrossing his arms. "Let's go."

Connor sits in the backseat for the car ride, this time. Anderson blasts more Knights of the Black Death through his car radio. You stare out the window, ignoring the clamor. Eventually, you notice the sensation of being watched, and turn to find Connor staring at you.

"Hank was correct. You are much different than other androids," it says, speaking below the music. Connor has to lean toward you so its voice is audible to you alone, and you do the same.

"I'll say to you what I said to him: That's really the point. I'm not supposed to act like other androids," you reply.

"Your emotion emulation is much higher than average. Why?"

"I'm supposed to be able to relate to deviants, without deviating, myself. It helps me understand why they did what they did."

Again, this isn't the complete truth. You only need to understand deviants so you can make Connor deviate. That's not something it needs to know, however, so you leave out that bit of information. "I find it rather interesting that you can imitate humans so well."

"Thanks," you say, a genuine smile pulling up one corner of your lips. "I think it's pretty interesting that you're so independent but manage to stay affable."

"What're you two whisperin' about, back there?" Hank calls over the music, finally noticing the two of you leaning toward each other in the rearview mirror.

"Nothing, Lieutenant," Connor replies for the two of you. "Just doing self-assessments." He nods and turns his attention back to the road. There's a couple moments of silence that pass between the two androids in the backseat as Connor processes your words. "...Thank you," it finally says.

"Have you never received a compliment, before?" you ask, eyebrows furrowing in disbelief.

"I've been congratulated for succeeding at a task," Connor says, not understanding what you meant.

"I was asking if anyone ever gratified you for what you are, not what you do," you specify.

"Then no, I guess not."

You place a hand on its shoulder, smile returning. "Congrats, Connor. You've just been complimented."

Your hand slips from it when you turn back to the window. As it does, it trails down Connor's arm and grazes its hand. The affirming physical contact is also new to Connor, and it finds the sensation pleasant.

I hope you liked this chapter of "TZ100". Thanks for reading. ~Blue