prologue

Steve liked Bucky- scratch that, he loved Bucky.

And not in the friend way.

Bucky was the one person who wasn't embarrassed to be seen with Steve. The one person who treated him like any other kid. The one person who knew him better than any one.

They met when they were only 6 (Bucky was 7).
Steve was on the playground sitting on a bench right next to the sand box drawing when a couple of your typical elementary school bully's came up to him. Taunting him, making fun of his petite size, even at 6 it was quite noticeable. One knocked his drawing books and pencil out of his hand and into the dirty sand below, as another yanked his shirt collar and threw him off the bench, making Steve's asthma already act up.

He tried regaining strength and got up. He tried to squeeze a couple punches in on the two older boys (a/n : 5 th grade). As hard as he tried they still over took him. Getting hits at his jaw, cheeks, and ribs. He had basically accepted defeat and just lied there letting the boys hurt him. "Look at this little baby isn't he just adorable" taunted the first bully in a sarcastic tone. "HEY!" someone had yelled, Steve barely could hear over the throbbing pain in his head. "Oh my, dude run! It's Barnes" he heard the second boy say in a panicked voice. The boys ran off and Steve just lied there staring at the sky, his head, and ribs throbbing, making it heard to properly breathe (although he barely could when he didn't have possible broken ribs).

"Hey kid , you alright?" He was snapped out of his gaze. He looked up at the older boy above him. He was only in the grade above him making him a little less intimidating (and a lot more brave for standing up to two 5th graders). He had piercing blue eyes the reminded Steve of the sky he was just looking at moments ago. Although when he turned his head the boys eyes shifted, to a nice crisp grey-blue. Steve admired the eyes above him. They brought him peace. "Kid?" The boy questioned again. "Oh yeah, sorry i'm ok. Thanks by the way." "It's no problem. I've never understood why people pick on kids just cause they are younger or shorter than them. It's not their fault." The boy was sweet, kind, and most importantly hadn't yet regretted talking to Steve which bye now most people would've realized who it was they were having a conversation with and walked away. But not him.
"The name's James" the second grader held out his hand. "But you can just call me Bucky."
Steve accepted his hand and shook it.
"My name's Steve. Say how'd you come up with Bucky. Is it like your middle name?" Steve questioned.
"My middle name is Buchanan so it's a nickname for that. I think it fits better."

"Me too." Steve agreed.

The boys from then on the boys were inseparable. When Bucky would move from elementary to middle school, leaving Steve behind. Or when the same thing happened with the middle to high school transition. They were tough years for both boys. Without there best friend bye their side it was hard and it felt unnatural.

Little did they know.

A/N : Hey so this is the prologue to my new story. i'm really excited for it so, yeah. there's gonna be flashbacks along the story but the first few chapters will be placed in the mid to late 30s and early 40s. So there will be both pre and post serum Steve. The rest of the chapters will be based in the 2010s with flashbacks that were a time skip from the prologue to the early chapters. I hope you guys enjoy!