When I Hear Your Cries...

Chapter 1 – When I Hear Your Cries…

I sat alone, on the edge of a crumbling staircase in front of what used to be a beautiful building; watching the shouting group of people across the way squabbling and screeching at each other like hyenas fighting over the last scrap of meat on a carcass.

“They call themselves survivors…but they weren’t meant to survive at all.” A voice rumbled next to me.

I scoffed. “You think?”

“Yes.” The voice replied.

“Who was supposed to survive? If any of us?” I asked as I looked towards where the voice was coming from; my eyes landing on long legs encased in black leather.

My eyes travelled up the person’s figure slowly; my gaze meeting his as he replied. “You.

My eyes widened as I looked at his back…and his black angel’s wings. “You…you’re…you’re a…” I swallowed thickly, my throat dry. “You’ve got wings…”

“Interesting…” the young man frowned, eyes curious as he crouched down beside me and looked into my eyes. “Most people can’t see them…”

“Then I guess I’m not most people.” I replied cautiously hearing a snarl by my feet. I reached down and ran man hand soothingly over the soft fur there. “Down Nari…he won’t hurt you.”

“The she-wolf is yours?” the man raised a curious eyebrow at me.

“We look out for each other.” I replied, smiling down at the young wolf I’d come across not long after the world had begun falling apart.

“Mmm…” I heard him shift slightly.

I heard a whistling sound and raised my hand, bracing my arm just as I felt something solid connect with the palm of my hand; slowly, I raised my head and looked at the chunk of black stone in my hand and then towards the mob of people watching me. I raised an eyebrow as one girl in ragged brown leather stepped forward. “Loner freak! Keep away from our Saviours!”

“Are you jealous because he came to me? Or because I received attention from him without wanting it,” I leant back a little, “or needing to make a scene?” I pointed to her possie standing watching behind her. “I don’t need anyone else to make my presence known,” I sneered. “You need a crowd of people behind you to throw a stone.” I let the sneer fall from my face. “One day they’ll leave you behind…they’ll leave you alone…that day, when I see you, shivering from cold and starving… would believe I’d help you?” I stood purposefully, laughing silently when the girl took a step back; shaking my head I snapped my fingers, “Nari… sequitur…” and strode off into the deserted streets, Nari getting up and trotting after me as I walked away from one of Humanities supposed Saviours…a Fallen Angel.

***

As she walked away, I felt one of my brothers appear silently by my side. “The language of the Angels…”

I nodded. “She’s lingered here far too long…there’s no hope for those still here…those that needed saving have been and have joined our ranks.”

“But she does not know…” my brother replied solemnly.

“She will soon enough.” I said, my lips pursed.

“And if she does not remember?” he asked and I saw him look at me out of the corner of my eye.

“She will.” I narrowed my eyes slightly at her retreating form as he continued.

“But if she does not-”

“She will come with us, or she will burn with the city.” I sighed, cutting him off as my voice grew grave. “It is time she came home…”

______________________________________________

Latin: sequitur = follow