The Mind Versus The Heart (Pt 1)

Depuis le début

The boy in front of them chuckled, smooth and playfully sexy. 

He grinned back down at them, shifting his hands to be crossed behind his back as he leaned forward a bit. "I guess I could." He winked, then straightened back up, holding the pen and pad up with a quirk of his eyebrow. "What will it be for my lively patrons?" 

"Two Green Goop Shakes," Hunk started, "And I'd like the Number One." He looked at Pidge for her to continue. 

"I don't want anything but that shake." She waved her free hand around dismissively. 

The waiter smiled at that. "Coming right up, I'm Lance by the way." He tapped his name tag with the back of his pen, the white plastic glinting. 

"I'm Hunk, I'll actually be starting here on Friday." Hunk spoke up, grinning. He was always egger to make more friends, and since the two of them had moved here for school just last week he hadn't had much of a chance yet. 

"Awesome!" Lance smiled even wider, high-fiving the big guy. "My family actually owns the place, so kind of a given I got roped into working here. Though, it is a pretty chill place to work." He nodded along with himself, still grinning. 

"Cool!" Hunk exclaimed. 

Uh oh, Pidge cool smell a bromance coming. She said as much. 

Lance laughed, Hunk too, then he grinned at Pidge. "What's you're name?"

"Katie, but everyone calls me Pidge." She waved her hand again, before crossing them both over her chest as she sat back. "And I am not working here." She smirked, teasing Lance as she cocked her head to the side.

"Well, Pidge, Hunk, I'll be right back with your food." Lance grinned, flashing his very white teeth and pointing finger-guns before sauntering off to the counter.

Hunk grinned at Pidge. "I think we just made a new friend." His eyebrows raised as he spoke, still smiling full force.

Pidge sighed. "I guess." 

She honestly didn't care about making friends in the same way Hunk did, she was mostly just trying to focus on collage. She was young for it sure, she had skipped two whole grades in elementary-and had endured enough shit about it to last a lifetime, but it's what she loved. 

Besides Hunk and her family, she hadn't really met a person she wanted to go out of her way to win over. Sure, she had a boyfriend or even a girlfriend here and there throughout life, but when you're two years younger-at least-from all the others in your grade it made even attempting dating a hassle. 

Plus even when she did get asked out, because she had never asked anyone before, it only lasted for a couple weeks. The person would get upset that she only cared about school and wouldn't pay any attention to them. 

She was in the room, she was talking, wasn't that enough? Sorry-she felt that her education should come before someone who just wanted someone to listen to their problems and make-out with like some goddamned therapist with benefits. 

Pidge figured there was plenty of time for friends, and even romantic interests, after she graduated and started working for NASA or something. 

And plus, who needed more friends when they already had Hunk? The man was like a godsend honestly, he could cook and keep up with her robotics talk. 

Honestly perfect. 

He had been her friend for a few years, having joined her high school their sophomore year. Other than him Pidge had countless robots she made in her spare time. 

When Lance came back Pidge took her shake with a grin, attacking it with a vigor she only got around two things; robots, and sweets. 

"Whoa, okay there Pidge." Lance grinned back, laughing faintly. "So what do you do if you aren't working here, Pidge?" He asked, pulling up a chair and sitting in it backwards. The diner was slow right now, so he had a few minutes. 

"Hunk and I are studying at Garrison." Pidge looked at him, keeping both her hands on her shake as she kept drinking. "You?" 

"Whoa-wait!" Lance's eyes bugged out. "You can't be more than sixteen-how are you at the Garrison?" 

Hunk sighed, knowing the grin on Pidge's face meant she was about to gloat her heart out. 

"I skipped two grades, and I'm seventeen, thank you very much." Her chin tilted up, glasses glinting as she smirked. 

"Whoa-" Lance grinned, an admiring light filling his blue eyes. "You must be a genius."

"Yep!" Pidge kept on smirking as she drank some of her shake. "Hunk isn't too shabby either."

The mentioned boy went pink. "Yeah, but you've got me beat easily. And I'm nineteen thanks to being a winter baby." 

"Neat!" Lance's eyes sparkled as he leaned on his folded arms. "I'm eighteen, and starting in the Garrison too, actually. I'm no genius, but I love sea creatures." He smirked. 

"You must be at least pretty smart to get into the Garrison at all." Hunk mused. 

"I guess." Lance teased, still smirking. "Well, I got to go, I'll talk to you once you're done." 

And with that they parted ways. 

Little did any of them know just how involved in each other's lives they would be.