Chapter 27: Feast under the Stars

Winter Solstice was three weeks away; the snow had begun to accumulate on the hallowed earth, and in the darkness elves gathered, assembling in the long halls for celebration.

Vil and Mey watched from a distance as the city lit up with joy and lights at the return of King Aiwind, who in his absence had truly won the war, defeating Morthaur ere he could be summoned through the stellar gates, not like Vil's and Mey's household offensive was undermined though, but after a week of constant celebration it seemed to have faded into nonexistence.

"Well, at least we lived to see this celebration," Mey chuckled, glancing at Vil.

"I'm not in the mood to," Vil replied, "I've already had too much, and to be fair we didn't even do much, it was Muldred and Caravir who did the most."

"You daren't deny the outcome of our defence, Vil," Mey retorted, "your troops and mine held the burial mound, without them Morthaur would have returned once again, and no force godly or devilish could have brought him down then."

Vil looked down, cracking a gentle smile, "I guess you're right," he shrugged.

Mey placed his hand on Vil's shoulder, looking him deeply in the eyes. Snowflakes landed on their heads, forming circlets of silver around them, embroidering their curls black and red with the promise of freedom. "We should get in," Vil suggested, "I don't fancy everyone seeing us here like this."

"Who are you and what have you done to Vilyánur Sarmäcil?" joked Mey, kissing Vil in the darkness of the snowy clouds.

"No, I was not joking, I'm not very fond of the cold."

"Well, alright," Mey shook his head, walking into the darkness of their apartment chambers, Vilyánur following.

Three more days passed by, endless partying and joyful tidings drowned the halls of all the districts and states of the two kingdoms, Vil and Mey remained to themselves for the most part, not interacting with anyone unless absolutely necessary to.

...

On the eve of the fourth day Raucion visited them, only to be greeted warmly by King Aiwind. "If not for the son of our ally," he wished him, probably unaware of their shared kinship.

"Thank you," he wished back, "I have come here to have a chat with my friend, Lord Vilyánur, if you'll be grateful enough to allow me."

"Aye, I don't have a problem with that, if he has none," the king replied.

"He has no problem either," Vil interrupted out of nowhere, "come, let us chat in private."

Raucion nodded, following Vil into his personal chambers. Mey and Vil were more than glad to see him, eager for the news of the former king. "Welcome brother," Vil greeted him warmly with an embrace, "how is father?"

"He is well, and wants you to know that he told you that he loves you, and will always love you. No matter what happens, you will always be in his heart."

Tears filled into Vil's eyes, "...as will he be."

"Also, I bring a message from him, and 'tis something that worries me for you and your kindred," Raucion announced. "Should I remember correctly: 'Morthaur as an entity is subject to the same laws as us, and thus can be defeated,' he said, 'but Morthaur as a concept is eternal, and cannot be defeated.'"

"Well, that's general knowledge, isn't it?"

"It is," Raucion tilted his head, running his sleek fingers through his hair.

"I mean, Morthaur in Old Elvish means 'entropy', and back then he used to be the God of Death and Decay. When he said Morthaur as a concept cannot be defeated, he meant the inevitable death of the universe cannot be hindered."