But that isn't true for Jennie anymore.

How can Lisa love me more than the other Jennies?

Jennie look at her in the front passenger seat, wondering what Lisa thinks of her now, what Lisa feels toward her.

Hell, what I think of me is up for debate.

Lisa sits quietly beside her, just watching the forest rushing by outside the window.

Jennie reach across the console and hold her hand.

She looks over at Jennie, and then back out the window.

-

At dusk, Jennie drives into a town called Ice River, which feels appropriately remote.

They grab some fast food and then stop at a grocery store to stock up on food and basic necessities.

South Korea goes on forever.

There's no breathing space even in the suburbs.

But Ice River just ends.

One second they're in town, passing an abandoned strip mall with boarded up storefronts. The next, the buildings and the lights are dwindling away in the side mirror, and they're cruising through forest and darkness, the headlights firing a cone of brilliance through a narrow corridor of tall pines that edge up close on either side of the road.

Pavement streams under the lights.

They pass no cars.

They take the third turnoff, 1.2 miles north of town, down a one-lane, snowy drive that winds through spruce and birch trees to the end of a small peninsula.

After several hundred yards, the headlights strike the front of a log house that seems to be exactly what Jennie is looking for.

Like most lakefront residences in this part of the state, it's dark and appears uninhabited.

Shuttered for the season.

Jennie pull the Cherokee to a stop in the circular drive and kill the engine.

It's very dark, very quiet.

She look over at Lisa.

Jennie say, "I know you don't love the idea, but breaking in is less risky than actually creating a paper trail by renting some place."

The whole way up from Seoul—six hours—she's barely spoken.

As if in shock.

Lisa says, "I get it. We're way past breaking-and-entering at this point anyway, right?"

Opening the door, Jennie step down into a foot of fresh snow.

The cold is sharp.

The air is still.

One of the bedroom windows isn't latched, so Jennie don't even have to break glass.

-

Both of them carry the plastic grocery bags up onto the covered porch.

It's freezing inside.

Jennie hit the lights.

Straight ahead, a staircase ascends into the darkness of the second floor.

"This place is gross." Jennie whispers at herself but it isn't gross so much as redolent of must and neglect.

A vacation home in the off-season.

They carry their bags into the kitchen and drop them on the counter and wander through the house.

The interior décor straddles the line of cozy and dated.