Chapter III: A Simpler Life Part I

Morning came. Avernus was woken up by the sound of singing birds and wood being chopped. The typical ambiance of a village. After so many days, it was the first time that he had a good night's sleep.

He slowly got up. For someone like him, he got used to staying at inns and the places people generously accommodated him during his travels. It was a common thing for him. Avernus checked his clothes and noticed that they were all gone, and the rest of his equipment was reorganized. There was one person that could've done this: Velvet.

"She's an early bird, plans ahead, clears up clutter, cooks delightful meals, and looks out for everyone just like a good mother would. Hmm... I wonder how old she is. Velvet is so young, but acts like an adult. Never thought I'd meet a village girl to be like that. She's probably an exception."

As he was coming down from the ladder, he saw Velvet rewashing the dishes from last night. She didn't trust the cleaning with anyone else. Also, she didn't pay attention to him waking up.

"Well, that bitter look says it all; Velvet is definitely angry about last night. I hope she's not that angry."

"Morning, Velvet."

Velvet deferred from responding to him for a few seconds, but she complied with a cold one.

"...Morning."

"Do you know where the bathhouse in your village is? Or how do you bathe? I dunno, just asking."

Velvet heavily sighed, as if she was annoyed with something else.

"We've got a small shack outside. And I knew that you'd probably want to take a bath since you, Mr. Avernus, have been reeking with a spoiled and rotten smell since last night. But it's not yet warm enough for bathing." she replied, still avoiding eye contact.

"Wow, she's so direct!" He let a low sigh. "You don't have to call me 'Mr. Avernus'. That just makes me feel old. But thank you, Velvet. I can heat up the water myself."

Avernus went outside and found that small shack she mentioned, their house was one of the few that had their own bath shed.

Ten minutes had passed. There was nothing like a warm shower in the morning. More importantly, no curious eyes of any villagers were detected.

Avernus then remembered about Velvet's gloomy mood. He loved a challenge. Today's challenge was to make that authoritarian, tsundere and stubborn girl smile.

"Velvet needs a surprise and something to cheer her up... But what can make that dictator happy? A flower; simple yet gratifying."

He thought about where he could find a suitable flower in this cold, dying world. Everywhere he looked was filled with autumn leaves or a few bunches of Croci. Frustrated, he started to regret the idea until he saw the shopkeeper in the middle of the village. Avernus immediately went to the man.

"Hey, do you sell flowers, old man?"

Shopkeeper's face wrinkled, irritated because of Avernus's attitude, "...Well, yeah, but not so many of them left, especially with the weather and all. Only a bunch of roses and tulips left."

"Whatever, just give me a pink rose."

The shopkeeper groaned."Only red roses..."

"Red roses?! ...No, it would probably send the wrong message to her, Laphicet, and Arthur. That's wrong."

"Don't you have something else?"

The shopkeeper felt insulted, "No, just tulips and red roses. Take your pick, you impudent bloke."