IX

The moment had come.

Months of preparation on the part of the royal family had led up to this, and weeks as far as Giselle was concerned. For weeks she'd been psyching herself up for this, telling herself that everything would be ok, that the wedding was ages away.

But now the wedding was here.

Giselle loitered alone in the small side-room just off the entrance, staring at her reflection in the large mirror that had been placed inside not for the first time. Admittedly, her wedding gown was stunning, having been created by the finest dressmakers in Samarus. Giselle turned slightly, admiring the dress with a sigh.

It was made from silver silk, with a large full skirt and a train that started at her shoulders and stretched out 10ft behind her, with white lace trimming the edges and top of her bodice. Beneath the top layer of skirts was an undergown, with silver flowers embroidered and diamonds and pearls sewn into them. The same pattern followed to the boned bodice, which was so tight along with the corset Giselle was wearing that she could hardly breathe. The sleeves reached her wrists and then pointed out and up her hands slightly, as if directing the attention of the guests to the ring that would so shortly be on Giselle's finger. Around her neck she wore a necklace of diamonds, and matching waterfall earrings dangled from her ears. Her dark hair had been primped to perfection; brushed and brushed until it shone, and then left loose down Giselle's back. She wore a white lace veil that fell over her dark curls and in front of that a tiara belonging to Queen Lahleh that she and every other future Queen had worn at their wedding was resting on the top of Giselle's head, with the Queen's promises that it would bring fertility and happiness to Giselle's marriage.

She could only hope.

Giselle did, in short, look like the princess she was about to become. Every inch of her was covered in wealth and magnificence, and the diamonds ensured that she shone in a way that would hurt your eyes should you look at her for too long. Yet despite how beautiful she looked, Giselle knew that Will would not be fazed. Every other men at court had decided that they were smitten with the future Queen, all except her husband, the one man who mattered.

There was a knock on the door, and Giselle's stomach dropped. Was it time already? She hadn't heard the King come in - the wedding couldn't start until he had arrived.

"Come in," she called out nervously, breathing a sigh of relief when she saw Ash slip in and shut the door behind himself, turning his back to Giselle as he shut the door. Then he turned around, looked at her for the first time, and his mouth dropped open.

He stared at her for a few moments before he managed to shut his mouth and stand up straight again. Giselle chuckled softly and relaxed, folding her hands together in front of her. "Quite a transformation from the girl who left Forest Castle, isn't it?" she commented flatly. Ash stepped forward and nodded slowly, still unable to speak. Giselle looked over her shoulder at her reflection and sighed. "Do you think he might be able to look at me now?"

Ash stepped forward and reached out, taking Giselle's chin into his large hand and slowly, tenderly, turning her face to his. He was so close, and Giselle felt her heart fleeting in the way it always did around him. "My lady," he whispered, letting his hand fall and rest on Giselle's shoulder, "you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. He will adore you - every man does."

Giselle could see his feelings for her as plain as day, but she would not, could not, give in, no matter how much she wanted to. Ash was exciting, brave and bold, but tender and kind when he wanted to be, but he wasn't her husband, and he never would be. King's could have mistresses, but a Queen had no choice but to be faithful.

"Ash..." she started with a pained sigh. He hushed her, and despite the fact that she was a thousand ranks above him, she listened and fell silent. "I wish it was me waiting out there," he whispered, terribly quiet for fear that somebody might overhear them. He reached out with his other hand and stroked Giselle's cheek, then her neck, and let his hand fall just before he reached her chest. "Ash we can't, I'm about to be married..." Giselle protested. Ash sniffed and looked over his shoulder, checking the door was closed. "Just once, then I can die a happy man. You're not married yet, Giselle."