Shades of cool

A few hours later

Duncan's POV

I walked across the corridor and took a deep breath, turning the handle.

It had been a full 3 hours since... well, you know, and I had been putting off trying to make up for it. I knew that I couldn't just waltz in there and go 'soz by the way, lets watch a film' and although I was really trying not to, I still felt that apologising was almost sinking to her level. But Klaus was right, we were the last Quagmires and we needed to stick together. I had to accept that it was who she was and I couldn't change it.

I started to think of all of the times that she had looked at a model in a magazine and said that she liked her hair or her makeup or that she wished she was as skinny and it made me wonder if that had been her trying to tell me for all these years. But she had always liked guys! She used to tell me about all of the actors that she thought were cute and fangirl over them, telling me that 'David Tennant is in a new Marvel show on Netflix' or 'Tom Holland visited a children's hospital' or even 'Yesterday I watched Benedict Cumberbatch playing that gay man, Alan Turing, who cracked enigma.'

She was trying to tell me, I swear, she was trying to tell me.

The more I thought, the worse I felt. From the moment we were born, we have not once been apart for more than a day and she knew everything about me yet I seemed to know nothing about her. She had known when I had a crush on Violet so why hadn't I when she was crushing too? I was torturing myself and I couldn't take it any longer. I needed to simply ask her myself but I had to make it up to her.

I stood up suddenly and walked out of the door. Klaus looked shocked but ran to catch up with me. I turned the handle and was met with Violet and Isadora sucking each others faces off on the sofa. I coughed lightly and they jumped apart, blushing.

" mm... sorry" I mumbled. "Sorry doesn't cut it, Duncan!" Isadora wailed, tears beginning to form in her eyes. " You hate me for who I am, who I love and you have made that quite clear already and I can't... I won't...."
"I don't hate you" I interrupted "I could never ever hate you, we shared a womb for god's sake!" I said quoting Klaus.

It seemed to work for she immediately ran up and threw her arms around me. "What are you doing? 'We are related' and you forgive him just like that? After everything he said to you?" Violet screamed " What choice do I have? He's my only family, Violet!" She choked out through her tears.

"That's not true. You always have a choice. You don't have to forvive me, I wouldn't forgive me, but I know that, deep down, you could. Properly. And I'm sorry, I am so, so sorry. I will learn accept this but I will always, always accept you."

"Thank you, Dun" she said in a mouse like voice. I pulled her in closer, kissing her on top of her head. "Don't thank me, all I did was cause you pain. Thank Klaus" Violet stood up in shock. "What did Klaus say to get you to apologise?" She giggled slightly. "He spoke to me in a language that I understand: scientific test reports!"

It was now Violet's turn to hug her sibling. "Oh, Klaus! Your a genius! Your the best brother ever!"
"I do try to be!" He said smiling as he hugged her back. Once they broke apart, I turned to Violet. " I'm sorry, Violet. I was jealous of my sister, I just... I love you." I said meeting her eyes. " It just, kinda hurt me, y'know and I over reacted. I kinda felt like Iz was doing it to spite me y'know? It took me a while to realise that... that isn't her. She would never purposefully hurt me. And I am so sorry that I tried to hurt her and you through her. It shoked me. I had never realised you were... y'know..." I trailed off.

Violet looked confused for a moment. "Oh...ohhhh! No! I'm not. Well, not fully anyway! I'm bisexual. I think I am anyway or maybe pan. I don't know but. Yeah." She chuckled a little. "Seriously! Out of all of the things Klaus could have told you that may have helped, he didn't think to tell you about all of the possibilities of your sister's sexuality? Wow, Klaus! I thought that you were an expert on LGBTQ!" Klaus looked positively attacked and I couldn't help but laugh.

Violet laughed harder and Isadora obviously found Violet's laughter as contagious as I had and was in fits as well. That's when I knew that we would be ok. I mean, the possibility of me losing my sister had been rare but for a while I had thought that it was going to happen. And over something so trivial as well.