Chapter 4

Okay... I haven't uploaded in a while... And while I'm assuming, from my whopping 4 reads on my last upload, I'm not disappointing a HUGE fan base, I'm hopefully disappointing someone... That sounds bad, but by that I mean, hopefully someone really liked it and when they see that I've posted a new installment, they will be happy that I have done so. If they enjoy it, they will recommend it to their friends and the people who read their stories, and my fan base will grow and I will be more motivated to upload more often... That's my train of thought... But you see... I haven't really made things very clear... In fact, I'm still not too sure what's going on here... I don't plan things out very well. So please forgive me. And if you see plot holes beginning to form, please tell me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I began to run to a small collection of boulders that would hide me quite well, while still allowing me to see what was going on. I sprinted towards safety. But before I could get there I turned around to see what was happening and a figure emerged from the brush.

The boy that met my eyes was quite handsome. He was tall and slender. He had thin blonde hair that was just long enough to cover the tops of his ears. He was dressed in a more natural way than Hatter was. That is to say, it wasn't what you would expect of human clothing. It just gave off the esscence of Nature itself. But it was cold. The pants he wore were a very, very dark, very earthy brown, almost black. His shirt was cut oddly, but it fit him well. And it was the color of the sky in winter. The in between color of blue gray that you couldn't quite describe. Some things just don't exist outside of nature. This color was one of them. The whole ensemble fit him quite naturally and emphasized his slim, yet masqueline figure.

The stranger let out a cold, hollow chuckle. It sent a chill down my spine... "Nickolas," he said in a voice that sounded like a mix between a babbling brook and a cold winter breeze, “I see you've gone out and gotten yourself a toy. It's very pretty, it looks so much like-” he cut off. The stranger stepped forward looking at me. His gaze passed up and down my frame, making me feel exposed. “Upon my word! It can't be, but it is! Oh, Nickolas, you really shouldn't have brought her back here. But you know that don't you? Or do you? No one seems to remember the same things... Which causes quite a problem now doesn't it?”

The stranger looked me right in the eyes and I was captivated. I felt a strange calm. His gray eyes seemed to be looking right into my soul. And I wasn't scared or disturbed by the feeling this gave me. Which was the strange thing. I should be afraid, considering Hatter's aggressive reaction to this guy, but I wasn't. I was comfortable. Somehow I was aware of his intentions, and it became apparent to me that he had no wish to hurt me. He was purely curious. He was kind, despite how he came off, deep down, he had a pure heart. Pure even though it was chipped and broken. He held his hand out to me as he began walking closer. “Come here Alysson. I want to look at you properly,” he said gently. I began walking towards the stranger.

“ALYSS! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!” I heard Hatter scream. I looked over at him with a brief, vacant stare as I kept walking toward the now smiling stranger in front of me. The smile on his face was not menacing, but a genuine smile of happiness. “ALYSS! STOP!” Hatter yelled as he began to run towards me. I shot him a glare and hushed him. His eyes went wide and he stopped dead in his tracks. He just stared at me as I continued to walk towards this curious stranger with the bright gray eyes.

As I neared the figure in front of me I reached my hand out to meet his. He took it and allowed me to take a couple more steps until I felt I was a comfortable distance away from him. He didn't force me to come any closer. I kept my gaze locked on his eyes as they searched my face. Suddenly his eyebrows furrowed and his eyes showed great concern. I felt the color drain from my face, and my eyes go wide with worry.

“Nickolas, come here...” the stranger said in a strained voice. I looked to Hatter, worried and scared, then looked back at the stranger. Hatter was beside me in a second.

“What is it, Lucian?” he spat. Lucian. So that was the stranger's name.

“Come look at her properly,” Lucian instructed calmly, passing my hand to Hatter who moved in front of me, taking Lucian's place. Hatter glared at Lucian, but did what he was told. Hatter looked into my eyes in a similar fashion that Lucian had. But the connection was slightly different. More... Hatter. It was his essencce that came through. I kept my eyes locked on his as he took his turn observing me. His eyes grew large. The color drained from his face and he let go of my hand and his own flew to his mouth. He stared at me. I stood there, petrified.

What could possibly be wrong with me? “Wh-what's wrong? What's wrong with me?!” I asked panicking. I began to tremble and moved my hands to my face. Hatter just backed up a few steps, stumbling, but staring at me all the while. He looked like he was about to cry. Or barf. Or both. This scared me and I felt tears start to run down my cheeks. I was still shaking when Lucian came and wraped his arms around me.

“Hush. Alyss, hush. Everything will be fine,” he whisperd to me. His touch was comforting. I stopped trembling, but the tears still came. “Calm down little one,” he whispered. The tears stopped coming, but there were still the ones that were already there. “We'll take care of everything,” he kept talking in a gentle, soothing voice. I felt tired. He gently kissed the top of my head and my limbs went weak. The world started to go dark and the last thing I saw was the worried face, and concerned bright eyes of Lucian staring down at me.