Chapter 2 - Saving an Enemy

° ° °

     "Ugh!" I shouted as a vine wrapped around my wrist. I had shot a water ball at the fire girl, and hopefully that put her out for a while. Water does damage fire elementals, after all.

      I looked up, only to find the Queen and the fire girl knocked out. Then I looked at my wrist. The vine continued to wrap around my wrist and continued to my arm. I took out my pocket knife and tried to cut it off, but it was too thick.

     "Hello? Can someone help me?! Quick?!" I called, but it was no use. No one was there.

     Or was there?

     "Hello?" someone called out in the distance.

     "Over here!" I called back, and soon I heard the thudding of heavy footsteps.

     Soon I saw a guy around my age burst through the leafy forest to my right. He had strawberry blonde hair with light brown eyes and a playful smile. He wore a green leaf hunter's outfit with a bow and arrow strapped to his back, so he almost looked exactly like Robin Hood. He also had a little pouch around his neck.

     "Hello, ma'am-" Then he saw who I was. "I, uh, I mean Princess."

     "No time for that, just help me!" I snapped. The vine was already up to my shoulder.

     The man dug through his little pouch. I constantly told him to hurry up. I mean, those vines are fast - and who knows what will happen?!

     He finally took out a knife, way bigger and sharper than my pocket knife, from the pouch. It looked way too big to fit in a pouch that small!

     He quickly grabbed my arm and carefully sliced the main part of the vine, were it first hit me. Almost immediately, the vines withered and crumbled, leaving dust behind.

     "Thank you!" I said to the man. "How can I ever repay you?"

     The man smiled. "You don't need to do that." he said, "I-"

     Off in the distance, a horn blew.

     His eyes grew wide. "I must leave you now," he said, "Goodbye, Princess Ciara."

     As he ran off, I called to him. "You didn't even tell me your name!" I shouted, but he was already gone.

     I sighed. "No one's ever done that for me..." After may years of dealing with my little cousin Mila and my sister Wave, constantly somehow getting into trouble, no one has ever saved me.

     "Me too." a voice said behind me. I turned around and saw the fire elemental getting up and on her feet again. "When I was in trouble, when I was in danger, no one was ever there for me."

     I suddenly felt pity for the girl. But once I looked at Queen Willow on the ground, I got angry. VERY angry.

     I pointed at Queen Willow. "Who cares about that?! Look at what you did to the Queen!" Now that I realized it, the Queen has been laying there behind a leaf for quite a while. Not even my savior saw her. Darn it, I should have told him.

     The fire girl looked down at the ground. "I didn't mean it." she said, "I..." Then she sighed.

     Then I felt really sorry for the girl. I walked up to her and touched her shoulder.

     "I'm sorry." I said to her. She lifted her head and looked up at me. Her eyes were a bright ruby red, and she had a golden necklace with red, orange, and yellow jewels on it. It was stunning.

     "I..." she said again. She stared at me harder, her eyes getting redder than it already was. "LIAR!" she shouted unexpectedly, grabbing my wrist. My wrist slowly began to evaporate. My blue streak in my hair became white from the white hot heat.

     "ARGH!" I screamed. The girl flipped me into the air and blasted me with fire. I gasped as I fell to the ground.

     You know why?

     After blasting me in the air, I healed. The fire had somehow pushed my evaporating wrist back to me, putting me in perfect condition.

     Me and the girl locked eyes. We just stared at each other for a very long time.

     I heard shuffling behind me. (Why all of the surprises behind me?!) It was the Queen. Of course it was the Queen. Out of all things.

     She got up and glared at the fire girl. (What is her name?! I'm sick of calling her fire girl!!!) "You...." she said. Then she looked down at her dress. There was a scorch mark on her dress. She also limped when she walked.

     She continued to stare at her, as thought she was studying an important science project. Then, out of all the random things she could ever do, she snapped her fingers.

     Cacti came at the fire girl at all angles, closing in on her until she was in a cacti cage. In the distance, a horn blew again, and the sound of marching soldiers were coming toward us.

     "You're going to regret this, fire elemental." Willow said. She threw something down to the ground, and boiling water flew everywere. When the boiling water cleared, the Queen seemed to have vanished.

     The march of soldiers were very close now. I looked at the fire girl. She was scared to death. Her eyes were turning purple, for crying out loud. So I did the only thing a nice girl like me would do.

     I looked around on the ground for something sharp. There were many stones around here, so soon enough I found a sharp enough stone to use to cut the cacti.

     I took a couple of minutes, but soon I managed to make a hole big enough for the fire girl to climb out. By now the soldiers were literally right around the corner.

     "Run!" I told her, pushing her. "And never expect me to help you again!"

     She looked back at me and threw something at me. A notebook and pen. Then she disappeared.

     The soldiers came, all aiming their hands at me. Then they lowered them. One man stepped forward and bowed to me.

     "Princess," he said to me, "You are needed in the Water Kingdom. You should leave..."

     I nodded. I hastily picked up the notebook and pen and raised my hands, making a big mass of water, and rode it home. All the while I thought, Why did she give me these?