Chapter five

I awoke from the slumber of my cot with Thomas shaking my leg. I had no tent. Just the stars above me and no sheets or pillows. " Chuck, wake up. We have a new assignment." We walked over to where our company was meeting. Captain Thompson was giving orders. " Ridge company has been chosen to defend a base 10 miles north from here. It's located on a flat stretch of land." " What's the name of the base sir?" One of the soldiers asked. He looked at the soldier and said, "Alpha." A Jeep pulled in front of us. " Captain its time. March your men toward that base." One of the people in the Jeep exclaimed. "Yes sir. Alright men, we're moving moving out!" I got my helmet, sub machine gun, and pack. We were off.
There was only one road to Alpha base. It was a hard, bumpy, dirt road that got narrow sometimes. And we had to walk. I remember my feet got blistered really bad. Even though the walk was hard, I had a lot of time to talk with Thomas. About the beach, about Bill, and our wives back home. " Chuck, will we make it through the war and come back to America alive?" "That's hard to tell Thomas. The war is getting worse every day."
We travelled along the road for about 30 minutes when a beaten up truck came down the road. It stopped right beside us. Captain Thompson went  to check it out. " Everyone hit the ground." He yelled. All of us did so. Thomas and I were beside each other. " I don't like this." I said. Thompson opened the back doors. And to his surprise, there were Nazi soldiers. "BLAM!!!" One of them shot Thompson. We all gasped. They caught us off guard. "Everyone hit the woods!-" The Sargent was cut off with bullet shots hitting his head. He fell to the ground with the blood gushing from his head. I was mortified. I had never seen anything more gruesome than that. Thomas grabbed my shoulder. "Chuck, we need to get the hell out of here! There's a shortcut in the woods." I gathered as many soldiers as I can and we retreated into the woods.