Chapter three

January 1st, 1943 was the day I entered boot camp with Thomas. I remember I was in a big army truck carrying 40 troops or so. I looked out the cover flap and saw a couple inches of snow on the flat ground that went for miles in every direction. We arrived at a chain link fence and came to a halt. The soldier opened the gate and let us in. There were cabins around the camp. The truck came to a halt. "Everybody out!!!" Our drill Sargent yelled. I got my pack of clothes and toiletries and headed out in front of our assigned cabin. "Attention!" We all got in a line facing the drill Sargent. "My name is John, you do not call me that while I'm here. Is that clear?" We all shouted out, "Yes sir!" "You DO NOT call me sir. You address me as drill Sargent. Is that clear!?" "Yes drill Sargent!!" We all yelled. "Good, now get in your cabin. We all did so. We all walked in and right away I picked a top bunk next to Thomas.

5 MONTHS LATER

Smoke came out of the top of one of the chimneys on the big warship. It was a warm summers night on the sea, calm            before the storm I guess. Tomorrow we initiate Operation Overlord. Which means we'll be invading some beach named Omaha that the Nazis have a hold on. Me, Thomas and a new friend (Bill) have Ben talking for the last few hours. "So Chuck, what are you thinking about tomorrow?" Bill asked. I shrugged and said, "I think I'm gonna die." We all laughed. "Thomas, do you miss Brooklyn" I asked. He was looking for an answer in his head. "I don't know I mean, it's been sort of hell hole since the depression." There was a short pause. Then Bill spoke up. "Well, I think it's crash time." We all agreed and went to bed.